Gambrel roofing nails exposed on hip

andrea411

Hello, we're in the middle of rebuilding our barn. A friend is helping and he hired a roofer to do the gambrel roof. After they left for the day I noticed along the hips of the roof there are exposed nails in every shingle.

He said there is flashing under the hip and that was the correct way to do it. I'm not so sure. So he offered to put some kind of roofing glue or putty on the nails.

Its always been my understanding that nails don't belong through shingles. unless there is a shingl over them.

He obviously used the nails to make the shingles lay flat. grrrrrrrrr

do I need to make him take the nails out and patch? or replace the shingles? or just cover them with roofing goo

and will it pass inspection like this? (NJ 08051)

thank you so much, andrea

Hello, we're in the middle of rebuilding our barn. A friend is helping and he hired a roofer to do the gambrel roof. After they left for the day I noticed along the hips of the roof there are exposed nails in every shingle.

He said there is flashing under the hip and that was the correct way to do it. I'm not so sure. So he offered to put some kind of roofing glue or putty on the nails.

Its always been my understanding that nails don't belong through shingles. unless there is a shingl over them.

He obviously used the nails to make the shingles lay flat. grrrrrrrrr

do I need to make him take the nails out and patch? or replace the shingles? or just cover them with roofing goo

and will it pass inspection like this? (NJ 08051)

thank you so much, andrea

Hips on a barn gambrel roof?

The only place you should see the nails is on the last cap shingle.

If I understand your description correctly, he's a dope.

Covering them with goo will be fine for the first several years, till the goo shrinks and pulls off the granules that are below it. Then you'll have to remove the old goo and add new goo over an even larger area. When that shrinks, you'll have to do it again. When that shrinks, it'll be time for a new roof.

Pass inspection? By whom? Do your municipal inspectors carry ladders?

Are there a lot of hips on this gambrel roof? It takes very little time to rip off a row of hip caps and replace them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

I think she is talking about where the steeper slope on the sides transitions to the shallower slope on the top.

It is fairly common to see the shingles face nailed here, wrong but common. Roofers just don't take the time to lay out the exposure to land right at this transition. I would think the least objectionable repair would be to pull the face nails out (after the shingles have set some) and apply an adhesive sealant to the nail holes under the shingles. This will seal the holes, hold down the shingles where they bend over the transition, and not be obvious from the ground.

Tom

Tom

thank you, that seems to be what is going to happen. They will remove the nails and repair with roofing cement. It is very helpful for me to know that I can insist they not leave nails in our roof. My husband and I (both retired) bought a 30 year roof bc we never want to have to repair or replace this roof again.

I always try to be nice and accomadating to workers but I don't want to be someone's fool.

thanks so much and God bless, andrea