Gas Line Material?

Brandon Whitmore

The City Department of Gas here in Tahlequah Oklahoma uses a flexible hose for new gas lines underground, and even use them to stub up into a regulator going to natural gas meters. Most times if there is a problem they will dig up before the leak (relevance to gas flow) cut the line and run it inside the old black iron pipes. They use it for high pressure and low pressure lines, although im unsure of the material its somewhat flexible, almost like aluminum core flex pex. I beleive this is sunlight resistant similar to above/underground pvc conduit. I think the hose should be yellow though, I beleive thats code just about everywhere.

The only black plastic I have found for gas so far is HDPE, and it definitely was not that. I haven't found anything that allows for plastic gas line above grade..........

They use it for high pressure and low pressure lines, although im unsure of the material its somewhat flexible, almost like aluminum core flex pex

Something similar to CSST?

There's polyethylene gas tubing, but it's yellow.

There's aluminum gas tubing that's coated on the interior and exterior with polyethylene (GasFlex). It's also yellow.

There's copper gas tubing coated with polyethylene (Gas-Tec). It's yellow, but there's also an outer sleeve of HDPE available (Gas-Tec Plus), that's black. It's fairly rigid though and clearly marked.

I think what's pictured is some type of flexible tubing with some unknown, field-applied protective sleeve.

The only black plastic I have found for gas so far is HDPE, and it definitely was not that. I haven't found anything that allows for plastic gas line above grade..........

They use it for high pressure and low pressure lines, although im unsure of the material its somewhat flexible, almost like aluminum core flex pex

Something similar to CSST?

Not sure what CSST is, but I will go google it =), but I think its either polyethylene or something very similar.

Maybe they doped the pipe for corrosion resistance the same way you dope the outsde of black iron pipes below grade. Except that stuff is abotu as messy as oil tack, and thats awful smooth... Maybe they take great pride in that work, or somebody needed extra hours and took a buffing pad to it =)

Matt the typo king (my new call name -_- )

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to explain difference gas pipe options. Google didn't turn up much for me, maybe I'm losing my touch.

Ok, so I have no friggin idea. But that sure is one interesting electrical assembly next to it... I really like the little liquidtite nipple and the lamp holder is an especially nice touch.

I've never seen anything like this entire set up before. Maybe it's more common elsewhere. The light at the front of the driveway was a gas light, and the wiring (in the goofy conduit set up) was the low voltage wiring run to the light. It's not often I find a transformer in a crawlspace.

Not sure what CSST is, but I will go google it =), but I think its either polyethylene or something very similar.

Maybe they doped the pipe for corrosion resistance the same way you dope the outsde of black iron pipes below grade. Except that stuff is abotu as messy as oil tack, and thats awful smooth... Maybe they take great pride in that work, or somebody needed extra hours and took a buffing pad to it =)

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing. It's the flexible gas lines run inside of homes that has the yellow jacket.

The pipe is definitely not doped. It's hard to tell in the photo, but there's a different colored stripe running down the pipe. It's a manufactured material, I just don't know for what purpose it was manufactured.

The pipe is definitely not doped. It's hard to tell in the photo, but there's a different colored stripe running down the pipe. It's a manufactured material, I just don't know for what purpose it was manufactured.

A stripe? Nlack? It's not a high density irrigation hose is it?

• 10 years later...
On 9/19/2009 at 12:55 PM, Bill Kibbel said:

There's copper gas tubing coated with polyethylene (Gas-Tec)

Bill, any chance you have an installation manual for this? I ran across this product today and can't find installation requirements online (support type and spacing, sleeve requirements, etc).