business slow down

With he exception of the last week in August, I have been slammed.

Lots of work out there :)

Kevin

Being a part time HI, this year over all has been great for me. I suppose the tides are different here and there. I don't mind riding them. The HI work supplements the day job and vice-versa.

I'm glad to hear things are good for you Kevin. Hey, why don't you come to a MAHI meeting sometime. Anyone is welcome as a guest and if you choose to join, the fees are low and the web listing ranks very high. We are independent of any national HI org and are open to any licensed HI in MD. If you belong to other orgs thats fine, but you don't need to.

www.mdahi.org

Then suddenly and without warning. The let's wait until the last minute and demand it gets done yesterday folks appeared.

I've seen that too....

last three months.... I have tied my best month ever and this month will be my best ever.... scheduled 4-5 days out, couple multiple inspection weekends... scheduled up thru tomorrow .... As of Thurs the 1st.... nothing

go figure

Tomorrow, I will have completed my 40th inspection this month. Starting with May, my months have pretty much been fully loaded. This year has been great, I''m waaaay over last years numbers. The only bad part is that I can't get to all the inspections and have been turning down some. This kills me because not only have I lost that job, but any future referrals that may become of it. All the local good inspectors here are all busy. I am getting calls where the first question is "How quick can you get it done?". Lots of first home buyers and low end homes - they pay just the same!

I wish all you guys tons of business!

Tomorrow, I will have completed my 40th inspection this month. Starting with May, my months have pretty much been fully loaded. This year has been great, I''m waaaay over last years numbers. The only bad part is that I can't get to all the inspections and have been turning down some. This kills me because not only have I lost that job, but any future referrals that may become of it. All the local good inspectors here are all busy. I am getting calls where the first question is "How quick can you get it done?". Lots of first home buyers and low end homes - they pay just the same!

The market is telling you to raise your prices.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

Must be you went to Carl's website. Forty a month is pretty good business.

If you run the numbers - raise fee $25.00 per inspection.

Divide that $1,000 by 30days

Divide that $33.33 per day by 24hours

WOW $1.38 per hour!

It is my opinion when you reach that point in your business, you must really ask yourself why are the folks calling you. Of course you first have to know who the "folks" are. Often I think an inspector thinks of the gross revenue only. ie: Carl did 40 inspections at $250 and made $10,000. That is a bunch of money!

I knew this was going to come up. Every time I post here, you guys tell me I am too low. I think it is time to take the next step - Thanks Jim. The market here in Arizona is much lower than what most of you guys are familiar with. The average house in less than 15 years on and on a slab, which takes much less time than your aging mansions.

I haven't raised my prices because but the market has been so poor here the past 3 years. Even the guys at the top didn't raise or maybe even lowered a bit. The bad part is that my prices are close to what most inspectors (even the seasoned ones) charge. I do know that about 40% of the inspectors couldn't hang on this poor market and have closed shop, some who shut down were seasoned. I am blessed to still be doing fine.

Most of my referrals rarely ask the price, which is probably a sign I can start to raise my prices. I will first start by removing my pricing off of my website.

What's your experiences of raising prices?

Carl, what's going on in Prescott? Who's buying all the houses, and who's selling them?

If you don't remember from a post way long ago, it's my hometown. We'll be traveling there this Christmas to visit my folks.

Randy - 90% of the inspections are bank owned. The housing bubble here has really burst. Lately, most buyers have been "1st time". They get a 8k tax credit from the feds and a 22% down payment assistance program from the state (does not have to be repaid until they sell the home and does not accrue interest).

By the way Randy, why would you move from this wonderful place? The population has more than doubled in the last 10 years. I thought everybody wanted to live here - not move away.

Kevin

Being a part time HI, this year over all has been great for me. I suppose the tides are different here and there. I don't mind riding them. The HI work supplements the day job and vice-versa.

I'm glad to hear things are good for you Kevin. Hey, why don't you come to a MAHI meeting sometime. Anyone is welcome as a guest and if you choose to join, the fees are low and the web listing ranks very high. We are independent of any national HI org and are open to any licensed HI in MD. If you belong to other orgs thats fine, but you don't need to.

www.mdahi.org

Hey John,

Thanks for the invite. I've actually been to that meeting, but it's been a couple of years. I thought MAHI was associated with NAHI, but I could be wrong. The last meeting I went to, it seemed the only attendees were US Inspect Inspectors - not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm open to any good meeting. I belong to the local ASHI group (MAC-ASHI). However, I've also attended the INACHI meeting.

Let me know when the next meeting will be held, and I will try and make it. Also, if you are not too busy, maybe we can find a way to work together. I'm currently looking for an Inspector to do part time work (weekend inspections).

I've been following your posts here and you seem to be a bright and curious inspector.

Take Care,

Kevin

I was looking in to becoming a HI here in Chicago. I was wondering has business slowed down to much to begin this and would it be worth it?

Jay

Not necessarily and maybe, but only if you're into it so serious you can't think of anything else.

Scott's about right.

Kevin

www.mdahi.org

Hey John,

Thanks for the invite. I've actually been to that meeting, but it's been a couple of years. I thought MAHI was associated with NAHI, but I could be wrong. The last meeting I went to, it seemed the only attendees were US Inspect Inspectors - not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm open to any good meeting. I belong to the local ASHI group (MAC-ASHI). However, I've also attended the INACHI meeting.

Let me know when the next meeting will be held, and I will try and make it. Also, if you are not too busy, maybe we can find a way to work together. I'm currently looking for an Inspector to do part time work (weekend inspections).

I've been following your posts here and you seem to be a bright and curious inspector.

Take Care,

Kevin

Kevin,

MAHI is no longer associated with NAHI on an official organizational level. There are MAHI members that are also NAHI members but MAHI is no longer chapter of NAHI. MAHI is independent of any and all other HI organizations, both local and national. The only requirement to become a member of MAHI is that a person is a licensed Maryland HI.

The MAHI website still needs to be updated to reflect the next meeting location but it will be held at the Catonsville Public Library on Wednesday OCT. 11th at 6:30pm.

http://www.bcplonline.org/branches/branch_ca.html

To my knowledge, all of the current members are individual companies and I'm not aware of any franchise type presences there.

I appreciate your offer to share work load but I'll respectfully pass. I've got multiple things going on with both work and personal responsibilities and my schedule is challenged as it is.

BTW, are they building a new east-west corridor highway in your area? When I get a call for Rockville which is due west of me, I have to go north, south, north in order to get to some of those western areas. A new highway would be nice.

Kevin,

MAHI is no longer associated with NAHI on an official organizational level. There are MAHI members that are also NAHI members but MAHI is no longer chapter of NAHI. MAHI is independent of any and all other HI organizations, both local and national. The only requirement to become a member of MAHI is that a person is a licensed Maryland HI.

The MAHI website still needs to be updated to reflect the next meeting location but it will be held at the Catonsville Public Library on Wednesday OCT. 11th at 6:30pm.

http://www.bcplonline.org/branches/branch_ca.html

To my knowledge, all of the current members are individual companies and I'm not aware of any franchise type presences there.

I appreciate your offer to share work load but I'll respectfully pass. I've got multiple things going on with both work and personal responsibilities and my schedule is challenged as it is.

BTW, are they building a new east-west corridor highway in your area? When I get a call for Rockville which is due west of me, I have to go north, south, north in order to get to some of those western areas. A new highway would be nice.

I'll try and make it to the meeting :) I understand your scheduling challenges.

Here is some information on the ICC:

http://www.iccproject.com/project-overview.php

While there is a lot of debate in developing the highway, I think it will be a major time saver. But, I'm not keen on the tolls :(

Be safe and good luck with your inspections.

Kevin