batt power upgrade for 1027 CRM

John Dirks Jr

The Sun Nuclear 1027 will only run about 20hrs on a fresh 9v battery.

I'm putting together an extended battery pack so I can run tests in home with the power shut off.

It includes a holder that holds 8 AA rechargeables that are each 1.2v. The total will be 9.6v and the capacity of these 8 1.2v rechargeables should be able to run well beyond the 48hr minimum for the short term tests.

Radio Shack has the holders for under $2 and they snap directly into the standard 9v clip on the monitor. The pack will sit outside of the compartment since it wont fit inside.

The links below show the holder and the battery kits. Note, that same battery kit is at Costco for $19. That's where I'll pick it up tomorrow.

When I get everything together, I'm going to set a CRM to measure at 4hr intervals and run the pack until it dies to see how long it will go. I'll let you know what the results are.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062251

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3513361

I do not know what type of power tools you might have in your arsenal but I used to swear by Makita 9.7v drills. Now I have a Dewalt 9.7 v drill. I would think that adapting one of these types of batteries would be easy to do, and very convenient if you allready have a charger. I have seen some power tool batteries used like this on the TV show Mythbusters.

I do not know what type of power tools you might have in your arsenal but I used to swear by Makita 9.7v drills. Now I have a Dewalt 9.7 v drill. I would think that adapting one of these types of batteries would be easy to do, and very convenient if you allready have a charger. I have seen some power tool batteries used like this on the TV show Mythbusters.

I thought about that and checked my power tool batteries. They're all 18v.

I know there are better CRM's out there. However, I just got 4 1027's for $600. I'm gonna get some good use from them before I consider upgrading.

I loaded the holder with the fully charged Ni-MH's. The 8 of them are putting out 11.7v to start with. I know the 1027 uses a 9v backup but the mains are 12v so the charged pack should be fine even though it's beginning at 11.7v.

The holder and batt kit came to $22. No soldering, just plug and play. It's now powering a 1027 and I'll see how long it lasts. I set up a normally powered 1027 next to it just to compare readings at the end of it all.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009927205557_HPIM0199.jpg

48.31 KB

I would consider upgrading to the 1028 or 1029. I seem to go forever on one battery. I like using my computer to set the thing up, control thing I am seeking help.

What is the damage on a Femto tech?

Cost to buy them is over 3K but I lease mine for $165/month and that includes the lab certification of all the readings. Also, when they need to be recalibrated (required every year) I just trade it in for one that's done and don't pay anything for calibration.

No very often, but once in a while, I have somebody tell me while I'm setting up the monitor, that my using not only a CRM but the Femto-Tech specifically, was a deciding factor in choosing me over another inspector.

Like you, Kyle, I lease. RadaLink Aircats. $165.00 a month per machine. They handle all but setting and retrieiving.

Hourly Measurements of

Radon

Barometric Pressure

Humidity

Temperature

Tamper Detectors

Worker Exposure records

Quality Assurance Plan

Report Preparation and Delivery

Equipment Check Records

Headaches

Client Questions

Continuing Education for NEHA Certification

I'm a home inspector, not a radon scientist. But customers want the service here. I provide it with the least pain for myself that I can and I charge appropriately for the tests.

-

OK, the final results are in.

Just for the record one more time, the 1027 will only record 90 intervals. Because of this I set the interval duration to 4hrs for the test. That would mean that the CRM could record for 360 hours in one shot.

The 8 AA rechargeables in the $2 radio shack holder ran the monitor without house current for a period of 140 hours. Thats just a bit shy of 6 full days.

The side by side results from the normally powered unit next to it differed by .1pCi/l as an average for the entire time frame of 140 hrs.

So, there you have it.