Study Material for NHIE

Kevin,

Any and all reference books you can get your hands on. Any code books also. Don't necessarily have to memorize them but try and get familar with anything you can because there will be items you might not have encountered on your inspections in your area. These forums were extremely helpful but probably the biggest things to get you through are to stay calm, and to rely on your common sense. Take your time and think the questions through. Good luck!!

Dave

One thing that NACHI has that I think is helpful is their study guide on their opening page all the way to the bottom. About 1200 illustrations and captions. If you memorize them, you'll likely pass. It'll take at least 20 minutes so budget your time accordingly.

Please don't misconstrue this to be a full fledged endorsement of NACHI, but that feature is worthwhile.

There is a reporting system called "Home Exam" I believe Larry Revaes wrote it.

I do not like the reporting system but you can order a sample of it for around $25. The 3 ring binder that comes with the report is about 2 inches thick and is a wealth of information it covers almost everything that can go wrong and why. I recommend that people buy the book, read up on the areas that they are week in and then go take the test. I know 4 people that failed it the first time then read this book and passed the test the second time.

For what it's worth, you have to pass the test to do any inspections in AZ..

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

One thing that NACHI has that I think is helpful is their study guide on their opening page all the way to the bottom. About 1200 illustrations and captions. If you memorize them, you'll likely pass. It'll take at least 20 minutes so budget your time accordingly.

Please don't misconstrue this to be a full fledged endorsement of NACHI, but that feature is worthwhile.

Of course it's worthwhile. It's stolen from the Carson Dunlop "Illustrated Home" CD. The asshole responsible didn't even bother to change the filenames.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Scottpat

Hi Joe,

I did not see a credit for the source of those pictures on the NACHI site, do you know what book they came out of? It would be helpful if a person could get that book with all of the diagrams in it.

Now Scott, don't be silly. Why would anyone pay for a book now that it's all online for free?

Originally posted by swarga

If it was my material that they had pilfered I would have my attorney go to court and get a cease & desist order ASAP.

Then sue them for copyright infringement.

It is possible to put a counter on the page to keep track of how many people view it. I think

$36 per viewing is fair.

You think $36 a pop is fair? Fabian's still getting more than that! Get my ass on the jury and the Carson boys are retiring early and in comfort.