lift pump alarm/control system

John Dirks Jr

I did an inspection the other day that had a septic system with a lift pump in a pit in the back yard. The concrete tank was installed partially above the ground.

I understand the concept of the pump moving the waste from the holding tank up to the septic system.

How about these electronics in the control system? Does anyone care to point out the different components and say what they are and how they work? I'm sure others as well as myself could learn from any input.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091014184028_HPIM0216.jpg

32.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091014184051_HPIM0217.jpg

50.81 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091014184111_HPIM0218.jpg

62.27 KB

I don't inspect them either John but the stuff inside is all pretty basic.

You have an hour meter that clocks the run time of the pump (probably used to schedule maintenance) it also has a off-manual-auto switch for the pump operation, below it is a terminal block, to the right, the orange device is a timed relay (I would imagine used for miniumn on time for the pump once it starts to prevent short cycling - (semi wag), to the right of that is the pump contactor (used to start and stop the pump), below it looks like a light or horn that goes through the bottom of the cabinet to siginal a problem with the system and above the contactor is stuff you already know.