Another question (imagine that)...

blazenut

Ive done about 220 inspections now and saw something today again that i havent seen before. I figured out how it works i think but i just wanted to verify and ask a few questions. The house was 50 years old, the seller was an HVAC guy. It had a central air system with an air handler in the attic, and a Weil McLain boiler in a closet (with an indirect water heater in a closet in a different part of the house). The house was on a slab, so all the HVAC plumbing went to the attic and down into these utility closets. When i got to the house, i started looking for radiators... none to be found. So i started thinking it may be a radiant system, but it wasnt. It was sending hot water from the boiler to the air handler and it was hot air heat. Does this use the same coil some how? How does this work and is it common in other parts of the country? Im in PA. I have some pictures, but the attic where the air handler was was pretty full, so i dont know how much will be seen. I did eventually find a hot water pipe entering the back of the air handler though.

. . . It was sending hot water from the boiler to the air handler and it was hot air heat. Does this use the same coil some how? How does this work and is it common in other parts of the country? Im in PA. I have some pictures, but the attic where the air handler was was pretty full, so i dont know how much will be seen. I did eventually find a hot water pipe entering the back of the air handler though.

It's a hydro-air system. I explain to customers that it works the same way as the heater in your car. The hot water circulates through a coil in the air handler. They're solid, reliable systems. Around here, I mostly see them hooked up to water heaters instead of boilers. A set up with a nice WM boiler would be a sweet system.

- Jim Katen, Oregon