40 Space 200 amp panel

randynavarro

Other than the normal 240 volt circuits, all the rest of the breakers are 20 amp.

Is this a problem?

I couldn't see/find much on the panel label - it was buried behind the wires on the inside of the cabinet.

Were you inspecting my house?

It sound's like someone heavied up the branch circuits. The number and size of the branch circuits isn't necessarily an indication of how much current the service will draw. To know that, you'd have to do a load calc. If the load calc comes out ok, then you can have as many circuits as you want.

- Jim in Oregon

I was thinking there was a simple rule somewhere discussing maximum # of 20 amp circuits in a 200 amp service. Maybe just dusty folklore in my brain still.

It appears the determining factor isn't the quantity of circuits or the capacity of the circuits but rather the capacity of the system as a whole.

BTW, this was an average 1400 square foot rambler. Nothing out of the ordinary regarding electrical loads.

I was thinking there was a simple rule somewhere discussing maximum # of 20 amp circuits in a 200 amp service. Maybe just dusty folklore in my brain still.

There's no such rule.

It appears the determining factor isn't the quantity of circuits or the capacity of the circuits but rather the capacity of the system as a whole.

Yes, exactly.

BTW, this was an average 1400 square foot rambler. Nothing out of the ordinary regarding electrical loads.

I'll need a 20-amp circuit for the first outlet, a 20-amp circuit for the second outlet, a 20-amp circuit for the third outlet, a 20-amp circuit for the fourth outlet, . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon