Relief Valve

fox65

I am new homeowner, and am not inspector. I will appreciate if you guys look at the pictures and tell me if this is a problem. We had inspection, and after that previous owner replaced water heater. I did not have inspection after that and just now saw how pressure relief valve is installed. Its so tight against of heating pipe that small handle on the top could not move a bit. Sorry to bother you, but I did not find any info how it has to be install properly. Thank you in advance.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091016132848_DSC00388.jpg

24.55 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091016131257_DSC00387.jpg

26.04 KB

If you go to the hardware store and find a T & P valve, read the instructions.

It will say that you'll need to test that valve every year or so.

You won't be able to operate that lever to test it. It's a bad install.

Tanks are reeeaaal heavy when they're full but if you emptied it a bit, is there room to scoot it over or rotate it so the valve is free? If there is, just make sure you won't bust a pipe. Hopefully, they used flex connectors on the top of the tank to give you some wiggle room.

Is there a sticker from the company who installed the unit?

If there's a sticker from the company, call and tell them about the situation. Chances are they'll come back and correct it if you say you're going to call the township.

If they refuse, call the township construction department and ask for a re-inspect and show them your concern.

Also; I don't know if there was one previously, but a bonding jumper needs to be installed on the hot & cold pipes. Check that out too!