Historic Bed & Breakfast

I stayed in an 1840 Bed & Breakfast last night. It's in Mt. Savage MD and it's called The Castle. I have a bunch of great pictures and I'll soon get around to making an album which I'll share.

I learned a few things this weekend. Look at the second pic. I asked why the top of the banister was loose and coins were inside. I got an answer. I know some of you know the story. Tell me what you know so I can see if the stories match up.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091017235458_im102.jpg

71.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091017235537_im101.jpg

39.75 KB

I learned a few things this weekend. Look at the second pic. I asked why the top of the banister was loose and coins were inside. I got an answer. I know some of you know the story. Tell me what you know so I can see if the stories match up.

The owner admitted that he's a real tightwad who doesn't fix anything. Then he told you about the recently implemented toll for using the stairs.

I once stayed in a B & B in Massachusetts, built in 1740, that had a tightwad for an owner, but at least he didn't charge a toll to use the stairs. He saved money by using George Utley to do the structural modifications and electrical work. This was holding up half of our room. I didn't sleep too well.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200910181529_132-3244_IMG.jpg

45.21 KB

I stayed in an 1840 Bed & Breakfast last night. It's in Mt. Savage MD and it's called The Castle. I have a bunch of great pictures and I'll soon get around to making an album which I'll share.

Very nice. It's similar, but much smaller than my weekend shack in the Berkshires.[;)].

I enjoyed reading the history of the building and would like to commend the Perinos for the restoration.

John - here's something I put together about newel posts. You can add your story in the comment box.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/blog/newel-posts/

John:

I couldn't find your comment over at OHW. Maybe comments need to be approved first and it will appear later? I'm guessing my stab at the story was pretty far off the mark.[:-dunce]

I couldn't have stayed in a place like The Castle and not asked for a tour of the basement. I've found that owners of places like that are usually very flattered that you take an interest in their building and will readily take you on a 'special' tour.

I've even done it in public buildings. That same trip when we stayed at the 1740 B & B, we went to Hancock Shaker Village. The main building (which is huge) was built in the 1840's I believe. I talked one of the volunteer guides into getting the key to the boiler room and opening it up for me. Actually, I didn't have to talk him into it. He told me that it was nice to get out of his normal routine and was happy to do it.

If no one is around, I've also been known to 'accidentally' wander into unauthorized areas. I did that on that same day at Shaker Village. The site normally isn't open on weekdays in the winter, but it was Presidents day, so they were open with a skeleton staff of volunteers. Many of the buildings were unstaffed, so you could explore them at your leisure. That gave me the opportunity to check out the upper floors of the water powered woodworking mill that are permanently closed to the public. Those floors were used for storing the old power transmission equipment.

I love to stay in historic buildings when I travel, but with business in the cellar, those days are gone for now. I always managed to find something cool, such as these interior gutters and downspouts. I don't know if the original skylights were very leaky or what were once single panes collected enormous amounts of condensation.

I always enjoy your pictures, John. I'm looking forward to the next batch.