Brick Veneer

NJinspector

Hi all,

Been awhile since i've posted, but visit everyday and try to learn something new every time. I thank you all for that!!

I recently inspected a one year old townhome (warranty inspection). Brick veneer installed without a weep hole in sight. I recommended having a mason remove the brick and install the necessary through wall flashing and weep holes.

The builder and subcontractor that did the work are pushing back, stating they will only drill holes and install tubes.

Is there anything in the code that specifically talks about through wall flashing? The township is no help, the couple called the code official and they claim the holes will be fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

§703.7 in the NY Code I think the IRC is the same §.

The table and illustrations are quite clear.

R703.7.5 Flashing. Flashing shall be located beneath the first course of masonry above finished ground level above the foundation wall or slab and at other points of support, including structural floors, shelf angles and lintels when masonry veneers are designed in accordance with Section R703.7. See Section R703.8 for additional requirements.

R703.7 Stone and masonry veneer, general. All stone and masonry veneer shall be installed in accordance with this chapter, Table R703.4 and Figure R703.7. Such veneers installed over a backing of wood or cold-formed steel shall be limited to the first story above grade and shall not exceed 5 inches (127 mm) in thickness.

The figure §703.7 clearly shows the detail you're looking for.

If they are true townhouses, not greater than 3 stories in height, then they were constructed using the IRC.

As Chad points out, flashing and weep holes are required above windows & doors that have lintels (arched opening do not require weeps), below all windows and at ground level.

If you feel intimidated by the builder (screw the construction official, he blew it already), offer to have the DCA make an official ruling.

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/Forum ... hichpage=1

As far as drilling holes is concerned to add weeps, I'd say that is crazy. However, the Brick Industry of America does not seem to have a problem with this in their technical notes. That is exactly what they suggest although it should be done carefully. I think it is bad advice.

http://www.gobrick.com/html/frmset_thnt.htm

Jason;

The DCA regulates building code enforcement.

If you have any questions concerning codes, call them up, just explain you have a question in say the mechanical sub-code and they'll give you a person to answer your question.

In case you don't know, NJ has several different sub-codes...

Building

Electrical

Plumbing

Mechanical

Fire

Check this out... http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/

I recently inspected a one year old townhome (warranty inspection). Brick veneer installed without a weep hole in sight. I recommended having a mason remove the brick and install the necessary through wall flashing and weep holes.

I didn't see others mention it, so I'd better just to be safe. Did you confirm that there is an air space between the back side of the brick and the wall? If solid filled, there's no need for weeps.

I'm sure you've got this covered, but just in case.