How often do you recommend changing...

blazenut

I recall some mfg's. statement that these filters are not desirable due to their cutting down air flow substantially. They reduce air flow so much, they can cause the equipment to fail prematurely.

Anyone else read this, or is my memory failed?

I've heard it in the field. My impression is that it's folklore. Think about it. Would you have greater air flow through a 6 square foot filter or an 80 square foot filter?

These things allow more air flow, not less.

- Jim in Oregon

But would a 24" high efficiency filter have the same air flow as a 24" cheap-O that needs to be changed every month? I understand the layers create more surface space, but once one layer is clogged, isn't overall air flow reduced?

When I talk to HVAC guys, they say unless you have a specific condition like allergies or asthma, the filters that cost $5 for a pack of 3 is all you need. Just change them every month.

But would a 24" high efficiency filter have the same air flow as a 24" cheap-O that needs to be changed every month? I understand the layers create more surface space, but once one layer is clogged, isn't overall air flow reduced?

The filters that we're talking about don't have layers. Never use those filters that have layers. They're the worst idea ever thought up in the HVAC world.

The filters we're talking about are accordians. The Space Gard filters are about 24" x 24" and 6" tall. The 6" tall pleats each have about 2 square feet and there are about 36 pleats, giving you a sheet of filter paper that's about 72 square feet in area.

A comparably sized 3M Filtrete filter, for comparison, has about 6 square feet of filter area.

When I talk to HVAC guys, they say unless you have a specific condition like allergies or asthma, the filters that cost $5 for a pack of 3 is all you need. Just change them every month.

Those filters trap very little. For the exact same price, (about $20 per year) you can have a monster filter that will trap far more particles and will only need to be changed once per year. Besides, how many people do you know who actually change their filter every month?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I recall some mfg's. statement that these filters are not desirable due to their cutting down air flow substantially. They reduce air flow so much, they can cause the equipment to fail prematurely.

Anyone else read this, or is my memory failed?

I seem to have heard that too; however my filter (http://www.lennox.com/products/indoor-a ... tems/HC16/) was manufactured and installed by Lennox when my HVAC system was replaced last year. It does not make sense that Lennox would install a filter system that would damage the blower. My algeries were better this year then they have been since I moved to IL in 2001 and my equipment has had no problems.