It seems strange to me that the IBC (OSSC) has a min. 4" riser height requirement, while the IRC (ORSC) does not.

A trip hazard's a trip hazard, so this seems like a loophole to me.

Does this mean that areas of unevenness (lips) in concrete can be called risers?-- no need to call for repair[:-taped] I think I'll stick to writing up anything less than 4" as a trip hazard and leave it at that.

Anyone else have any pet peeves with our building codes?

It seems strange to me that the IBC (OSSC) has a min. 4" riser height requirement, while the IRC (ORSC) does not.

A trip hazard's a trip hazard, so this seems like a loophole to me.

The ORSC does have that requirement. It's at 311.5.3.4 (The rise of a step or steps exclusive of a threshold shall not be less than 4 inches or greater than 8 inches.)

Does this mean that areas of unevenness (lips) in concrete can be called risers?-- no need to call for repair[:-taped] I think I'll stick to writing up anything less than 4" as a trip hazard and leave it at that.

Anyone else have any pet peeves with our building codes?

I'd like it to come right out and say that there should be 18" clearance throughout a crawlspace.

I'd also like it to come right out and say that crawlspaces should be designed so that they don't accumulate standing water.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The ORSC does have that requirement. It's at 311.5.3.4 (The rise of a step or steps exclusive of a threshold shall not be less than 4 inches or greater than 8 inches.)

Crap,

I guess I need to be added to the dumb list. I've gotta quit reading too many building codes. I start to forget where I've read everything.[:-paperba

Hey, at last I've always reported it, just not while quoting the code.

To add to the list: Those risers that vary in height at sloped walkways, driveways, etc.

Actually, after some reflection, I'm thinking that the problem with present day building codes is that they have no teeth.

I kind of like the elegant simplicity of the first building code, written by Hamurabi.

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death."

It's clear, unequivocal, and persuasive.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death."

Finish this one:

If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built leaks______________

Finish this one:

If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built leaks______________

like a screen door on a submarine, he should be taken out back and shot.

Ok, that may have been pretty harsh - how about a good old fashion horse whipping. If I had a horse I'd whip him myself.

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got there I'll never know.

Think I'll stop now.

[:-paperba

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got there I'll never know.

Terry,

We're your friends and we're concerned about you. It's clearly time to call Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers and seek help kicking the old hand-to-mounth syndrome if elephants are wearing your pajamas.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Finish this one:

. . . he shall be put to death.

Hammurabi was big on putting people to death.