Anticipated snow level

Darren

I have a question directed to the 'Northern' folks.

Appendix C of the 2006 IRC is a diagram of "Exit terminals of Mechanical Draft and Direct venting systems".

This clearly shows dimensions to locating the terminations.

However, many installation instructions now are including the phase "or 12 inches above the anticipated snow level."

Do your towns or states have a set 'anticipated snow level' or is this something new that still needs to be addressed by the ICC?

Today I sent a letter to the Director of NJ Codes and Standards requesting some type of clarification, but I'm wondering what you guys are calling out (if anything) when the direct vent is only 12 inches above grade?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091123142439_Snow%20level.jpg

53.53 KB

• 4 weeks later...

I got an official answer from the state today.

"Based on information the Department has received from Rutgers University, the average anticipated snow level in New Jersey is 6 inches. Therefore, the vent outlet should be located a minimum of 18 inches above grade."

If anyone wants a copy of the letter, send me you fax #.

It's the highest anticipated snow level. This would be the largest accumulation of snow on the ground at any one time for some number of years.

In upstate NY the NOAA folks have recorded a maximum snow level at the Albany airport of 42". The next airport north of Albany is 48". The inlet level should therefore be 42" + 12" = 54" at the Albany airport.

Tom Corrigan

I have a question directed to the 'Northern' folks.

Appendix C of the 2006 IRC is a diagram of "Exit terminals of Mechanical Draft and Direct venting systems".

This clearly shows dimensions to locating the terminations.

However, many installation instructions now are including the phase "or 12 inches above the anticipated snow level."

Do your towns or states have a set 'anticipated snow level' or is this something new that still needs to be addressed by the ICC?

Today I sent a letter to the Director of NJ Codes and Standards requesting some type of clarification, but I'm wondering what you guys are calling out (if anything) when the direct vent is only 12 inches above grade?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091123142439_Snow%20level.jpg

53.53 KB

Again this is where reason and experience are more valuable than codes sorry for swearing, and installation instructions. Anticipated snow load is practically meaningless unless you factor in the vent location, wind speed and effect of surrounding structures.

For instance 12 inches might work on the windward side of a building but not so great on the leeward side.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif HeatingBoilerVentWinter2 (Medium).jpg

46.48 KB

And if that's not bad enough the 'frost of ill repute' will get you, usually in the middle of the night and freeze up your intake. But then that wasn't your question.

It's the highest anticipated snow level. This would be the largest accumulation of snow on the ground at any one time for some number of years.

In upstate NY the NOAA folks have recorded a maximum snow level at the Albany airport of 42". The next airport north of Albany is 48". The inlet level should therefore be 42" + 12" = 54" at the Albany airport.

Tom Corrigan

Hah!

Spend a winter in Amenia; the weather there is freakish. I don't think anywhere else in New York has the kind of snow they get there. Winter of '69 it took two weeks for the snow blowers and V-plows to reach Amenia from the county seat. That valley was socked in like the land that time forgot.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike