Pavement as a floor?????

Hey guys, I was reading somewhere here and an HI mentioned that the floors were pavement...wow...Okay, I have seen concrete, dirt, wood, manf wood. But this raises many questions:

1. Does the oil not stink

2. Since it is fairly porous wouldnt it collect/trap water/beer and pretzel debris

3. Fire rating was mentioned? With all the oil in this stuff I would assume that it is somewhat flammable.

I also missed where this was located, I am gonna guess southern USA. Who here would think that it is a selling point.

mongo

(feeling perplexed)

I was the guy that said he saw it and thought possibly someone had a misguided idea about fire separations. I didn't say it was a fire separation.

It's a doofus idea. I don't think anyone was advocating blacktop flooring, just describing it.

One thing will become apparent if you do this job for a while. You'll see things that are completely idiotic, with no basis in anything other than someone thought it would be a good idea.

point taken, couldnt find the topic again so wasnt claiming accurate info...so youve seen this, what do you think was the motivation, money, the avail of blacktop.

I know that people will do things that are out there and no explanation will ever justify their actions.

I mentioned it to some soldier buddies and they reminded me how many times we set up our tents in parking lots, having a blacktop floor sorta. Keeping and open mind...smile and wave boys, smile and wave

I've seen it done a couple of times, and while it doesn't make sense to me, either, I don't think it's a defect. A little kooky, perhaps, but I couldn't think of a way it could become problematic. I don't recall them smelling, and I think you'd have to work pretty danged hard to set it on fire. In MA, there are far more wooden floors out there than bituminous concrete floors, and I think those present a bigger problem.

In my last career I pretty much stopped being suprised or found things as odd. I am looking forward to lifes little amusements in this trade. As an independant contractor I have seen some amazing work that homeowners have attempted/started/scewed up and stopped. From blatant wiring gone way wrong to home additions that kept going wrong for over a century.

You guys must laugh your hasps off,,, if its safe enough.

You know Mongo, for me, one of the fringe benefits of this gig is seeing the inner workings of cool and unusual buildings and having a never ending stream of bizarre and wacky stuff to discover.

On that same inspection that I ran across the blacktopped second floor was a Pennsylvania bank barn that was divided up into multiple levels of stockrooms. It was the most concentrated collection of trip and fall hazards I've ever encountered - not to mention being a deathtrap if a fire would ever break out.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091128234349_1%20091.jpg

51.98 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091128234235_1%20098.jpg

53.52 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091128234453_1%20092.jpg

51.98 KB

I have hundreds and hundreds of pictures of goofy things people have done to buildings. Somebody told me that I should put them on a web site. So I registered stupidhousetricks.com and paid for hosting for a year. That's as far is it got. I just got a notice from Godaddy that my year of paid hosting is ready to expire. To GD's credit, they did call me last January and said they noticed that I hadn't put a site up yet and wondered if I needed any help.

Maybe I'll make doing that site a New Year's resolution and finally get it off the ground. Til then, my picture collection will only get bigger!