Better than those nifty yo-yos

Hey Tom,

They have huge amounts of offspring every month or so. We keep them around in the back office in a 40gal aquarium. They seem to live forever!

That is a large male and small female in the photo. They are abt 2 1/2" long!

They are a little on the bitter side if they have not been dead for a few hours.

Hey Tom,

They have huge amounts of offspring every month or so. We keep them around in the back office in a 40gal aquarium. They seem to live forever!

That is a large male and small female in the photo. They are abt 2 1/2" long!

They are a little on the bitter side if they have not been dead for a few hours.

I'm not much of a cook, but here in Kentucky, I think most folks soak cockroaches and other insects in milk for an hour or two to get rid of the bitterness.

John,

Would some yellow corn meal help?*

Is that really your wife on your website?*

What is the meaning of life?*

* these really are meaningful questions

1) I have been invited into people's houses, and been offered unrecognizable dishes that may or may not have actually been what most people would regard as food. Being polite, I always spoon out a small portion of everything onto my plate. Some of these dishes indeed tasted as if they had been marinated in the bodily fluids of cockroaches, but without exception, when these dishes are deep fried in cornmeal, they are delicious.

2) I am far too miserable a human being for anyone to ever want to marry me. One woman did, however, make that fateful commitment several years ago and quite certainly counts it among the most ignominious decisions of her life. The woman currently in my life is delightful and a source of ineffable joy, however it drives her crazy when she's feeling cross about something and I grin at her because her accent is so endearing.

"What's so fooking funny"

"You. You're adorable and I love you."

"I don't want to be fooking adorable right now."

"Well, but you just are."

3) When I was younger, I was of the opinion that if I couldn't eat it or have sex with it, it wasn't much worth thinking about (And no lewd comments about comingling the two). Contrary to popular opinion, though, men continue to mature past the age of fifteen, albeit at glacial speed. I now realize that you pretty much get out of life what you put into it. As we grow older, we become numbed by shrunken dreams and the narcotic of unvarying routines and habits. But only if we let it happen. And we don't have to. I suppose the meaning of life is to maintain one's passion, curiosity and sense of wonderment.

Congratulations on having a woman in your life, John. Maybe she'll make you less of a miserable human being!

Though, every time we've talked, I thought you were a pretty decent guy. Must be quite a cloak you wear in public!

[:-monkeyd

Speaking only for myself, I thought John classed up the place using the words "ineffable" * and "ignominious" in the same post. As a Southerner, I think that adding "cornmeal" to the post was the crowning touch. I would bet anything that you could Google that and not find those three words together. (No, I haven't done it.)

*For you younger guys, ineffable is not a variant of in f-ing anything.

Congratulations on having a woman in your life, John. Maybe she'll make you less of a miserable human being!

Though, every time we've talked, I thought you were a pretty decent guy. Must be quite a cloak you wear in public!

I suppose I do have my good days and bad days . . .

Speaking only for myself, I thought John classed up the place using the words "ineffable" * and "ignominious" in the same post. As a Southerner, I think that adding "cornmeal" to the post was the crowning touch. I would bet anything that you could Google that and not find those three words together. (No, I haven't done it.)

*For you younger guys, ineffable is not a variant of in f-ing anything.

To my fellow Southerner Kevin,

I've been out of town for a few days and I found some things on New Jersey menus that I'd never heard of before. One was "Scrapple." Another was "pork roll." Both are apparently processed, glutinous, really-bad-for-you-but-yummy-tasting pork products. I asked a waitress what a pork roll was and she said, "It's Taylor ham." I explained that that meant nothing to me and she went into it a little further, but I still never really got what she was saying.

I'm sure it's like when someone asks us what country ham or cheese grits are.

To my fellow Southerner Kevin,

I've been out of town for a few days and I found some things on New Jersey menus that I'd never heard of before. One was "Scrapple." Another was "pork roll." Both are apparently processed, glutinous, really-bad-for-you-but-yummy-tasting pork products. I asked a waitress what a pork roll was and she said, "It's Taylor ham." I explained that that meant nothing to me and she went into it a little further, but I still never really got what she was saying.

I'm sure it's like when someone asks us what country ham or cheese grits are.

I haven't a clue what a "pork roll" is. However, scrapple is a way for the thrifty person to utilize otherwise almost unusable pig parts. As I was told by my dad as he made the stuff, it was originally a German dish where you boiled down pork neckbones 'til the meat fell off, then mixed in seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper mostly) and cornmeal. It was poured into a pan, allowed to cool, and then sliced and lightly fried in a pan. My great-grandfather emigrated from Germany, so I assume he brought the recipe with him. We ate it for breakfast. I love it, but admittedly it does look intimidating to the uninitiated. It's definitely NOT a Southern thing though. (It is great on a good biscuit, though.)

Les, I've successfully overcome the strong urge to register, only because:

1. I'd hate to deny one of your local realtors the joy of winning

2. It's such a distance to come pick that hansome pair up.

Love the "out of the box" thinking.

All the best,

Mike

PS. Little scarfs and beanies for them would be a nice touch...