Teflon tape

asihi

• 9 months later...

I frequently find "White" Teflon tape on gas pipe joints, particularly on Water Heater gas supply pipes. Until I'm told otherwise, I will continue to write up the use of White (single density) tape used on gas pipe joints.

If I notice that the tape is yellow or a light pink, then I don't write it up. A while back I found this excerpt on one of the Plumbing Forums:

When double density PTFE tape first came on the scene it was also white, packed on a white spool and primarily only marketed to professional tradesmen through the plumbing or HVAC supply houses. Most plumbers quickly adopted it because it was quicker and easier to apply and made a much more reliable joint. Shortly thereafter many gas codes were amended to require the use of double density tape on gas joints. Once the codes were changed they began making the double density tape yellow so that the inspectors would have a visual indicator that the correct tape had been used, thus to this day the yellow double density tape is often labeled as "Gas Tape".

As the PTFE tape industry evolved into more products they adopted a standardized color code.

WHITE- Single density tape to be used as a thread sealant on NPT (National Pipe Taper) threads which are equal to or less than 3/8".

YELLOW-Double density "Gas tape" suitable for NPT threads equal to or greater than 1/2" but not more than 2"

Red- Triple density tape suitable for NPT threads equal to or greater than 1/2" but not more than 2". (NOTE-The package is a red spool with a red cover ring and plainly labeled 'triple density", but the tape itself appears as a pale pink color).

GREEN TAPE- Listed as "OXY/MED tape"-certified oil free to be used on lines conveying oxygen and some specified medical gasses.

COPPER TAPE- Contains copper granules and is certified as a mechanical thread lubricant but is not certified as a thread sealant.

Kevin

I frequently find "White" Teflon tape on gas pipe joints, particularly on Water Heater gas supply pipes. Until I'm told otherwise, I will continue to write up the use of White (single density) tape used on gas pipe joints.

If I notice that the tape is yellow or a light pink, then I don't write it up. A while back I found this excerpt on one of the Plumbing Forums:

When double density PTFE tape first came on the scene it was also white, packed on a white spool and primarily only marketed to professional tradesmen through the plumbing or HVAC supply houses. Most plumbers quickly adopted it because it was quicker and easier to apply and made a much more reliable joint. Shortly thereafter many gas codes were amended to require the use of double density tape on gas joints. Once the codes were changed they began making the double density tape yellow so that the inspectors would have a visual indicator that the correct tape had been used, thus to this day the yellow double density tape is often labeled as "Gas Tape".

As the PTFE tape industry evolved into more products they adopted a standardized color code.

WHITE- Single density tape to be used as a thread sealant on NPT (National Pipe Taper) threads which are equal to or less than 3/8".

YELLOW-Double density "Gas tape" suitable for NPT threads equal to or greater than 1/2" but not more than 2"

Red- Triple density tape suitable for NPT threads equal to or greater than 1/2" but not more than 2". (NOTE-The package is a red spool with a red cover ring and plainly labeled 'triple density", but the tape itself appears as a pale pink color).

GREEN TAPE- Listed as "OXY/MED tape"-certified oil free to be used on lines conveying oxygen and some specified medical gasses.

COPPER TAPE- Contains copper granules and is certified as a mechanical thread lubricant but is not certified as a thread sealant.

Kevin

The pink tape is normally used for steam fittings.