Electrical opinions wanted

Jeff Remas

Your interpretation of interior is the most rigid I have seen. I have yet to see an code inspector have an issue with NM into the back of a disco. What would you propose, a splice box on the inside of the wall and switch wiring methods? Where do you see as the limit of the interior; is it the face of the drywall or the vinyl siding?

Yes, thank you for seeing that. The cable has to be spliced in the interior of the dwelling unit to a wiring method permitted in a wet location, then ran outside. Once the wiring method enters a wet location (at the siding) it has to be rated for a wet location.

I do not write the NEC, but that is what is written.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I think 680.21(A)(4) is clear enough. Once the building envelope is pierced and the NM cable enteres the disconnect, it is outside the building. Weather it is 1/16" or 16", it is outside. Enough said.

680.21(A)(4) is clear, but it doesn't say what you want it to say. It simply saying that, in the interior of a dwelling, X is permitted. It doesn't say what's not permitted and it doesn't say what is or isn't permitted outside a dwelling. This section does not support your argument. Enough said.

"Nor does it prohibit it". Since 680.21(A)(4) clearly reads interior how could that be interpreted any other way?

Because it doesn't contain any prohibition.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Um "Dude",

Let me get this right. You are stating that since the NEC doesn't read that "NM cable is prohibited" it is acceptable to install NM cable outside the dwelling unit to the disconnect.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out that the paragraph you're referring to has nothing to do with the exterior of a dwelling. The prohibition you're looking for is in the general rule at 680.21(A)(1), which, by the way, is the code section that Jeff used to start this thread. You could also argue the point from 334.12(B)(4).

However, the NEC clearly reads that NM cable is permissible "in the interior of dwelling units". Your argument is absurd. What code book are you looking at?

Let's keep it civil, friend.

- Jim Katen, Oregon