? about disposal

Phillip

Phillip. Think aobut it. Not all garbage disposers have a dishwasher connected to them. Those that do are connected to the tail piece designed to accept the dishwasher hose.

Inside that tailpiece is a knockokut (seal) that keeps the disposer from leaking if a dishwasher is not connected to it.

When you hook a dishwasher to that tailpiece, that seal (knockout) has to be removed to allow water to flow through the tailpiece.

When the knockout is NOT removed there's no place for the water from the dishwasher to go. It leaks out of the hose connection to the disposer.

Ask me how I now this???? Distraction can make a mess!

I just use a screwdriver to knock it into the disposer and then turn the disposer upside down so it falls out. THEN reinstall the disposer. It's easier if you do it BEFORE it makes a mess.

It's inside the tailpiece at the arrow.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009122492926_disposal.jpg

9.08 KB

Don't the words mean the same thing?

Main Entry: dis·pos·al

Pronunciation: \di-#712;spô-z#601;lFunction: noun

Date: 1630

1 : the power or authority to dispose or make use of as one chooses

2 : the act or process of disposing: as a : orderly placement or distribution b : regulation, administration c : the act or action of presenting or bestowing something d : systematic destruction; especially : destruction or transformation of garbage

3 [garbage disposal unit] : a device used to reduce waste matter (as by grinding)

A garbage disposal, garbage disposer, food waste disposal, food waste disposer, waste disposal unit, or garburator / garbarator (Canada) is a device, usually electrically-powered, installed under a kitchen sink between the sink's drain and the trap which shreds food waste into pieces small enough (generally less than 2 mm)[1] to pass through plumbing.

"Disposal" WAS originally a brand name, similar to the use of the word' "Freon" instead of refrigerant.

No, disposal originally was an ordinary word - not a brand name - used in ordinary sentences such as "That's meant for disposal" or "I'm at your disposal."

Les,

Given that disposal as shown in the dictionary now means a food waste grinder - I just checked my dictionary as well - I think we can stop worrying about being sued by some company that used it as a brand name and call it disposal if we so choose.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"Disposal" WAS originally a brand name, similar to the use of the word' "Freon" instead of refrigerant.

No, disposal originally was an ordinary word - not a brand name - used in ordinary sentences such as "That's meant for disposal" or "I'm at your disposal."

Les,

Given that disposal as shown in the dictionary now means a food waste grinder - I just checked my dictionary as well - I think we can stop worrying about being sued by some company that used it as a brand name and call it disposal if we so choose.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Besides which, if a customer sees the word "disposer" in a report, she either won't understand or will think the writer's a dipstick or made a typo.

Like Kingsley Amis said, the objective of writing is to communicate, not to always be correct.

Sure,

But I'd pronounce that brand name as Dispose - All, not Dispos - ul so, in my head there wouldn't be any confusion. Now, If I went around calling those things Disposall's and writing them up as such, I suppose there'd be grounds for some company to try and sue me for trademark infringement, which is what I think is what happened to Les.

OT - OF!!!

M.