Technical name for....

Robert Jones

Hi Bill,

I'd call those escutcheons too.

These are different.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-29 ... ccess.aspx

They're only different 'cuz the on-line reseller calls 'em a flange.

Results 1 - 10 of about 368,000 for shower arm escutcheon

Results 1 - 10 of about 67,100 for shower arm flange

Somebody do the math.

Not that Google is the ultimate authority on the correct names of house parts. Pull several books off a shelf and look for a labeled diagram. I'm pretty confident which one will be in the overwhelming majority of books by credible authors.

I replaced a trap on one of my sinks this afternoon, and finally--after a year of looking at PVC--got around to installing a three-dollar trim piece near the wall. The cylindrical escutcheon plate . . . why do you think they call it a "box pattern" when it's round? Because it "boxes in" the couplings?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010127205839_DSC00877.jpg

41.07 KB

...books by credible authors...

There's your key right there, credible.

With the ease of the computer age, a lot of dumb asses are writing "uncredible" stuff that really confuses the issues.

Yeah, I really meant uncredble but it's also uncreditable.

I like Wayne's response. Just push the dang thing back in place.

If I absolutely have to mention it, like when it's missing, I just tell them "The escutcheon (the little ring that should be around the shower pipe) is missing. It's a decorative thing to cover the hole in the wall. If you don't like the way it looks without it, install one."

Seldom makes the report though.

-

-

I replaced a trap on one of my sinks this afternoon, and finally--after a year of looking at PVC--got around to installing a three-dollar trim piece near the wall. The cylindrical escutcheon plate . . . why do you think they call it a "box pattern" when it's round? Because it "boxes in" the couplings?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010127205839_DSC00877.jpg

41.07 KB

The 'box pattern' refers to the way it squares off to the wall as opposed to terminating into a smooth curve.

I use the box pattern if I have a choice, they have nothing to do with couplings.

Didn't see this earlier.

Perfect!

Google shower head parts and see if you find one of these in any of the catalogs that's called anything but a flange. Then look at the escutcheons. Different animal.

Hmm. Yup, "It's not OK to make up our own words;"

It's OK to make up your own words if you want to. It's not against the law to use the wrong term.

It's just teeny tiny headed.

There's folks that trust the dictionary and all credible industry reference material, and there's folks that trust the writers of plumbing parts catalogs and the orange aproned aisle monkeys.

I'm in the first group.