Meter 200CL, 225 amp service?

Paul MacLean

Originally posted by Paul MacLean

On a 1997 large house yesterday I found a meter marked 200CL and the service entrance panel was rated for 225 amps with a 225 amp main breaker.

Is this a problem? If so what would you say?

Thanks!

It depends on the size of the SEC. If it's rated for 225 amps (3-0 copper or 250kcmil aluminum), I'd say it's fine for a 225-amp service. If the SEC is too small, then I'd say that the main breaker's too big.

Remember that a class 200 electric meter is actually rated for a maximum load of 250 amps. The "200" designation is 80% of its maximum capacity, often called its "continuous rating" because it's rated to pass 80% of its full load "continuously."

It's the same thing with Class 320 meters. They're usually installed in 400-amp services.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Katen said "Remember that a class 200 electric meter is actually rated for a maximum load of 250 amps. The "200" designation is 80% of its maximum capacity, often called its "continuous rating" because it's rated to pass 80% of its full load "continuously."

That's exactly what I was looking for. The SEC and main breaker supported 225 amp service, but I didn't know about the meter ratings.