Help me get rid of mold

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE what I do... (and I'm very photogenic, eh?), but I just read my post and my spelling sux!

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

You guys scared me so much about these mold company practices that I decided to use two to see what each said. I know you have been warning me against professionals, but I have noticed lately that my asthma has been acting up as the mold has grown back after I tried the bleach solution. My asthma was under control before so I want to have the mold completely removed to be safe. The initial inspection didn’t cost as much as I thought. To be safe I got a second opinion from GVH Environmental here in the Bay. They both did a really good job and gave me a report of their findings along with an estimate for repairs. Indoor Restore seemed to be more thorough, though. They spent an extra half hour looking around, they looked at the crawl space and attic around the problem area and they used an infrared camera to find where the water was coming from – a leak in my room. Much more friendly guy, too. The Indoor Restore report included a lot of other things, too (some I probably didn’t need, but it was good to know), like how our water heater was heavily rusted and maybe should be replaced, our carbon monoxide levels, and their evaluation of our air filtration and duct cleanliness for our heater/AC. GVH did an okay job, but they seemed to rush through it and didn’t locate the leak. Both gave me estimates for mold remediation. I also found a general contractor who said he could do the work. As it stands, GVH is the most expensive, the contractor is in the middle, but much cheaper than GVH, and Indoor Restore is the cheapest. I’m probably going to go ahead with Indoor Restore. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

So Lancey which one is it, your previous statement of not having any health issues from mold or your now under the impression that your asthma is worse due to the "mold"? Here is your previous statement;

"RE the last few comments: I haven't had any health concerns because of the mold (is it supposed to be mould?) but I was just wanting it gone because of the damage it can cause the house and because it's ugly. I was hoping to make sure it was all completely gone, and therefore putting my trust in IndoorRestore to get the job done, but if it's not really a problem and I can at least partially if not mostly or completely get rid of it all by myself for a lot cheaper than they would charge me, and if they're feeding me BS on their website, I will just do this by myself."

Your sounding more and more like a pitch man for indoor restore IMO. I don't imagine that anyone on here is real interested in anymore of your sales pitches for that mold is gold company.

Robert, I was not having health problems with the mold because it wasn't a large amount of mold. I tried killing it with the water/bleach solution but it's come back and is now starting to affect me somewhat. Sorry for not making that clearer, but I did say that my asthma was undr control and now I'm starting to notice it as the mold is coming back this time.

• 1 year later...

Where is the mold? Using bleach just masks the problem and the dangerous mold spores are still left behind.

It is important to have a proper, balanced, ventilation system using equal amounts of incoming air and outgoing air. For bathroom vent fans it is important to use insulated ducting and to insulate around the vent pipe exiting the fan to prevent moisture from condensing inside of the pipe. If moisture condenses inside the pipe it can eventually lead to costly water damage.