Bought Another Fenix

Brad Manor

I'm crazy about my Fenix TK11 (had never heard of Fenix until Kurt wrote a post about the TK11 about a year ago). It's small, crazy bright and has terrific battery life. As far as I'm concerned it's just about perfect.

Well.... I happened upon a pretty good deal on the Fenix LD20 last weekend so I picked one up as a back up light.

This thing rocks! It's about half as big around as the TK11 (but a bit longer) and weighs about half as much. The battery life is about the same as the TK11 (currently my LD20 has 2 rechargeable AAs at 2000mAh and the TK11 is using one rechargeable Li-Ion 18650 at 2200mAh.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20102171581_feb-17-2010%20028.jpg

104.26 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201021715959_feb-17-2010%20030.jpg

28.41 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010217151212_feb-17-2010%20031.jpg

11.95 KB

The spot on the left is the LD20, the right is the TK11. Both are at full strength from about 5' away. The LD20 is 180 lumens, the TK11 is 240 lumens.

-Brad

... maybe a TK30 next...

A few weeks ago, I bought a Streamlight Stinger C4 LED Pro. Smallest but brightest flashlight I've ever used on the job, but not as small as Brad's. Runs 7 hours on low brightness which is bright enough to almost read a book by in my bedroom at night, if you stand it up pointing at the ceiling.

When I walk my dogs at night, it lights up a reflective stop sign from 2 blocks away (on high beam).

It can be dangerous to a person's eyes if he looks at the LED directly. Also, I get tired waiting for it to toggle down to low beam everytime I turn it on. High beam is just for attics and crawlspaces.

Still like it. Definitely a keeper.

Marc

Brad, Will the battery last through an inspection? Couple of hours? I'm in the market for a smaller light. Were did you buy?

At full power the battery life is around 2 hours. At the minimum setting it'll go more than 70 hours on two AAs.

I bought mine from fenixtactical.com as part of a sale: http://www.fenixtactical.com/special-deals.html.

-B

I have an ultra stinger too. That wont make it sometimes.

Do you leave your flashlight on for the entire 2-3 hours? How many minutes per inspection do you normally have your flashlight on? I can usually get 4-5 inspections out my ultra stinger. I do use a seperate flashlight for the crawlspace.

Do you leave your flashlight on for the entire 2-3 hours? How many minutes per inspection do you normally have your flashlight on? I can usually get 4-5 inspections out my ultra stinger. I do use a seperate flashlight for the crawlspace.

I've never made it through even half an inspection with an Ultra Stinger.

I got my Fenix TK-11 after Kurt's reviews and images of his custom-made holster.

The Ultra-Stingers (even with new cells) just don't last anymore. I carry a freshly-charged U-S for a P&B crawl and have the TK-11 in the pocket as I know the Ultra-Stinger just won't last for some crawls.

I get about 5-6 inspections from each charge and each inspection runs ~4-5 hours. NO ... the TK-11 is not on 'full-time', but gets plenty of use.

I've been spoiled with the Fenix TK-11.

Thanks Kurt !! [^]

Again, how long are you leaving your flashlight on? Do you have your light on all the time?

Turn it on, check something, turn it off. Repeat. What am I doing differently from you?

Again, how long are you leaving your flashlight on? Do you have your light on all the time?

Turn it on, check something, turn it off. Repeat. What am I doing differently from you?

I keep my flashlight in my hand during most of an inspection. On the interior, I sight down each room's wall/ ceiling planes, check under cabinets, behind couches, etc. On the exterior, I hit all of the eaves, spend time under decks, peer in behind siding where possible, peel up roofing shingles and shine underneath, etc. etc. Neither the Ultra - Stinger nor the Mag Charger lights last a full inspection for me, while the TK11 has no problems.

If your doing 4-5 inspections on single charge of the Ultra Stinger, were in separate galaxies. I do everything similar to what Brandon described, but I also try to see almost every square inch of joists, beams, rafters, sills, under subflooring, under roof decking, etc. and the light is always necessary. Also, most of my residential inspections include the primary house with multiple additions. So a couple attics, 1-2 basements, multiple crawlspaces are common. Then I need a fresh light for the outbuildings.

I'm pretty much the same as Bill and Brandon have stated in the way I use my flashlight. In addition, many times I'm pulling the client into the mix to show them things and explain in person. That process keeps the flashlight on longer.

Read about the Fenix here and bought one last year. I gotta say, I love that light. I get at least two inspections, I bought 3 of the rechargeable batteries so I always have 2 charged. I just put a charged one in after two inspections every time so I don't know really how long it would go, but it is a great tool. The belt case is a piece of junk though. Charlie