Bribery?

Nothing wrong with what you did. It's called thanking the hand that feeds you.

Agents don't write my checks, my clients do.

I guess it's OK for drug companies to "thank" doctors for prescribing their product or for contractors to "thank" politicians for awarding them the contract.

This may be the only area concerning home inspection that Scott and I don't see eye-to-eye.

Nepotism and bribery should not be a component of a home inspection. I guess it'd be ethical if one started out by saying to the real client, "I got this referral because I bought the agent a pie/ lunch/ tickets. That proves to the agent that I realize that they're my most important client."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agents don't write my checks, my clients do.

I guess it's OK for drug companies to "thank" doctors for prescribing their product or for contractors to "thank" politicians for awarding them the contract.

This may be the only area concerning home inspection that Scott and I don't see eye-to-eye.

Chad, I think you are correct.

Having to start a HI business over from scratch in a new area does tend to make one rethink about how one gets their name around the community.

I don't know of any State that governs home inspectors that would consider dropping off some marketing brownies or muffins an illegal activity. It would be interesting to see this law word for word and then see how others interpret the law/rule. Keep in mind that you are not paying anyone for anything, no money is exchanged and no agreements ever made.

This morning I carried some muffins by my insurance agents office and to my sons school teachers lounge as well. All had my company name and cards attached to the top of the box. Only cost me $12 to get my name out in front of who knows how many individuals. The teachers got Banana Nut bran muffins!

Original quote by Firm Foundation:

It's the hand of the homebuying client that feeds you, not the hand of the agent.

Marc

You wouldn't know the homebuying client if it weren't for the agent, in most cases.

I guess those who advertise in phone books or with billboard ads are also strickened to h*ll for getting there name out illegally?

Phone books, newspaper (Homefinder section), website and search engine placement comprises most of my advertising budget. The phone book ads bring in most of my sales, with website, agent referrals, prior client referrals and returning clients bringing in smaller shares.

Marc

I was recently offered a pair of Highland Coos on an inspection. I chuckled at first, but they weren't kidding.

Used to have 17 Rhode Island Reds. The difference between a fresh egg and a store bought is like the difference between ground beef and a NY Strip. They have about twice the taste. Very pleasant. (drifting back to eating badly, but not as bad as pie or pork rinds since eggs boost the HDL)

Well, one just never knows what a day will bring. Left a home inspection today out in the boonies with a dozen eggs right outa the chicken. Having a couple over easy right now.. Life is good...

You stole the eggs from the house!? Why, I would never. . .

The lady actually begged me to take them. She said the hens are cranking out seven a day, so no one leaves the property without fresh eggs. Worked for me...I actually do miss having chickens - they're so easy. Just clean out the hen house every now and then and keep em' fed. They don't seem to get sick, although I did loose a few hens to foxes and a ton of eggs to skunks. Drift alert... Drift alert... [:-dog] [V]

I don't know of any State that governs home inspectors that would consider dropping off some marketing brownies or muffins an illegal activity. It would be interesting to see this law word for word and then see how others interpret the law/rule.

Scott,

Here's what the state of Oregon has to say about this on the FAQ page for inspectors:

12. May a home inspector deliver to a realty agent pens,

notepads, magnets, coffee mugs, calendars, candies or

similar items with the home inspector’s name?

No.

Since the items are likely to be used or consumed by the

realty agent, the implicit purpose is to encourage a referral.

The conduct is prohibited. It does not matter that the items

may have only a nominal or small value. The rule does not

distinguish on the basis of the value of the items.

I don't know of any State that governs home inspectors that would consider dropping off some marketing brownies or muffins an illegal activity. It would be interesting to see this law word for word and then see how others interpret the law/rule.

Scott,

Here's what the state of Oregon has to say about this on the FAQ page for inspectors:

12. May a home inspector deliver to a realty agent pens,

notepads, magnets, coffee mugs, calendars, candies or

similar items with the home inspector’s name?

No.

Since the items are likely to be used or consumed by the

realty agent, the implicit purpose is to encourage a referral.

The conduct is prohibited. It does not matter that the items

may have only a nominal or small value. The rule does not

distinguish on the basis of the value of the items.

That is interesting, do you know the rule that this is from and if this was an opinion of the AG or just the folks at the license board?

Are all licensed profession restricted like this in OR?

So does this also restrict folks from offering a discount coupon to agent to give to their clients? Kind of a similar issue if you think about it...

I think this is the first state that I have ever seen put this into print.

That's the way it should be. The steenkin' realtors should know what the gig is.

I think that franchise called Pillar to Post has a monthly prize of a big ass TV for realtors.

Anyone hear anything about them anymore?

I don't think they do the TV thing anymore..

P2P just had their yearly conference here in Nashville, they had around 400 P2P folks show for it and many vendors as well.

So does this also restrict folks from offering a discount coupon to agent to give to their clients? Kind of a similar issue if you think about it...

It's not even close to being the same thing. The person buying a house is a client. The realtor isn't a client.. that's the problem, a lot of us have made the realtor the client and somehow justify it as marketing.

Hi Scott,

If you are still interested, here's what the law says:

OAR 812-008-0201

Standards of Behavior

(1) An Oregon certified home inspector shall not:

(a) Engage in dishonest or fraudulent conduct or undertake activities that are injurious to the welfare of the public, which result in injury or damage to another person.

(b) Disclose any information about the results of an inspection without the approval of the client for whom the inspection was undertaken.

© Accept compensation or any other consideration from more than one interested party for the same service without the consent of all interested parties.

(d) Directly or indirectly compensate realty agents, or other parties having a financial interest in closing or settlement of real estate transactions, for the referral of inspections or for inclusion on a list of recommended inspectors, preferred providers or similar arrangements. This paragraph is not intended to prohibit any discount, credit or add-on service made directly to an inspector’s client.

(e) Accept financial or other consideration, such as material or equipment, from suppliers for suggesting the use of, or promoting a specific product in the course of performing an inspection.

(f) Accept compensation, directly or indirectly, for recommending contractors, services, or products to inspection clients or other parties having an interest in inspected properties.

(g) Inspect properties under contingent arrangements whereby any compensation or future referrals are dependent on reported findings or on the sale of a property.

(h) Express, within the context of an inspection, an appraisal or opinion of the market value of the inspected property.

(i) Allow his or her interest in any business to affect the quality or results of inspection work that the Oregon certified home inspector may be called upon to undertake.

(j) Misrepresent any matters to the public.

(2) Opinions expressed by Oregon certified home inspectors shall only be based on their education, experience, and physical evidence observed by the inspector.

(3) Before the execution of a contract to undertake a home inspection, an Oregon certified home inspector shall disclose to the client any interest in a business that may affect the client.

(4) Nothing in OAR 812-008-0201 shall prohibit a business offering home inspection services from advertising services or for the purpose of recruiting employees and personnel. All such advertisements shall not be misleading or deceptive. A business shall not advertise home inspection services unless the business is properly licensed.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 670.310, 701.235, 701.350 & 701.355

Stats. Implemented: ORS 701.350 & 701.355

Hist.: CCB 1-1998, f. & cert. ef. 2-6-98; CCB 8-1998, f. 10-29-98, cert. ef. 11-1-98; CCB 2-2000, f. 2-25-00, cert. ef. 3-1-00; CCB 7-2000, f. 6-29-00, cert. ef. 7-1-00; CCB 9-2000, f. & cert. ef. 8-24-00; CCB 6-2001, f. & cert. ef. 9-27-01; CCB 7-2002, f. 6-26-02 cert. ef. 7-1-02; Renumbered from 812-008-0080, CCB 5-2005, f. 8-24-05, cert. ef. 1-1-06; CCB#8200;14-2008, f. 6-30-08, cert. ef. 7-1-08