Crawlspace Tool Bags, Boxes, Etc.

Eric Russell

As some may remember, I tried the Krawler a few years ago at IW. The gut made one heck of a break. I don't do that many crawls to invest in one.

Knee and elbow pads

then tyvek -- I like the hood and boot vesrion but I buy what I can on Ebay.

Steel toe boots

Full face respirator

mechanic's gloves

I seldom crawl....I roll...one revolution and look around...next revolution...

I carry an old camera, always start with a fresh set of batteries) in one hand and the ultrastinger in the other

Voltage sniffer in my shirt pocket

If I really need it, my leatherman is on my belt

I leave the tyvek in the homeowner's trash can, seal both sides of the P100s with tape (clean crawlspace) or pitch them also, respirator in a poly bag, gloves in a separate poly bag. The gloves get thrown in my dirty wash (rags towels etc) and the respirator gets a good cleaning and loaded back in it's plastic box.

All good ideas. I would like to tell you all about a pair of gloves I found especially for crawlspaces. They're called Comfort Crawl Gloves and they have elbow length gauntlets with padded rawhide leather for maneuvering with your forearms. Best equipment I've purchased except for my Ultra Stinger. I got them at www.toolexperts.com This is not an advertisement...just some helpful advice. I like the plastic tote idea, as well as the igloo cooler. Does anybody use a gatemouth bag like a Bucket Boss? The bag I have has no structure...it just flops over so you've got to dig for whatever you need. BTW, I wear Tyvek coveralls, a respirator, and a hat. My shoes are slip-on boots (these eliminate having to untie and retie whenever getting into the coveralls). I have the gloves, my flashlight, and my probe in my hands, my camera in my left chest pocket, and a yellow and red lumber crayon for marking deficiencies for the contractor to find. I'm gonna give a gatemouth bag a try.

Here in the civilized part of the world we have banned crawl spaces, only full basements. If we come across a house with a crawl, we turn it into the polite society police and the next day it is torn down and a Taco Bell is built to replace it.

If there aren't any steps, it's not meant to be inspected. Same goes for attics with no steps. I move that this should be added to the "Standards of Practice". Heck, if there isn't a handrail on the steps, I won't go down there. A man could fall and ruin his afternoon golf game with his doctor. :)[;)]

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Here in the South, the frost line is basically at grade. Dig down a foot so the footing is buried and start building the house. The cost of a full basement is considered prohibative. The only basements around here are walkout because the house is located on a steep slope and generally the house is 2500 or more sq ft.

In the snow belt, you guys have to bury your foundations so deep, you are already digging most or all of the basement anyway. Adding a couple feet to the depth to make it a full height basement is small in the overall scheme.

I think you may be right Chad.

I had a friend over in Athens GA that inspected for 6 years and finally sold out. He also had too many crawlspaces, 80 old houses, and it finally just got the best of him.

In my area I mostly get the new to 20 year old houses, with just an occasional older home with a crawlspace. I don't think I could take crawlspaces everyday.

Phillip,

Are you sure that was not part of a dungeon or some-such place? [;)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010310203919_Phillip_Crawl_Jail-Bars.jpg

3.93 KB

No that a vent. The house is five year old. It is a week end getaway. out in the county on 79 acres with lakes that covered 20 of them. It had a leaking chimney

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031101716_Picture%20001.jpg

104.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031101751_Picture%20046.jpg

76.66 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031101819_Picture%20047.jpg

23.16 KB