No grounds in sub panel?

chrisprickett

I went to inspect a big ol' custom house today (new construction). It wasn't ready, but I decided to take a peak inside the main and sub panels. Power wasn't on yet.

In the sub, there were no grounds. The wiring came into the main panel, and the hots and neutrals were pulled into the sub (next to the main)but grounds were in the main. From looking at the main panel, it was undersized, for the fact that the deadfront had to be smushed to get the cover screws on. The county passed it (not that that means anything).

I am going back, in two weeks, after power is back on. Thought? Commments?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif no grounds in subpanel.JPG

61.75 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif messy main panel.JPG

62.77 KB

Originally posted by chrisprickett

. . . In the sub, there were no grounds. The wiring came into the main panel, and the hots and neutrals were pulled into the sub (next to the main)but grounds were in the main.

All of the conductors from each circuit, including the grounding wires, are supposed to travel together. The circuit isn't supposed to drop its grounding wires off at "daycare" and travel on to the subpanel. Also, I don't believe the circuits are supposed to pass through one panel on their way to another.

I don't have time to find chapter & verse for you right now. Later. . .

From looking at the main panel, it was undersized, for the fact that the deadfront had to be smushed to get the cover screws on. The county passed it (not that that means anything).

Just because you had to smush the cover doesn't mean that the panel's undersized. They might just need to route the wires more efficiently.

Do you have a pictures of the whole panel and the two panels next to each other?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I went to inspect a big ol' custom house today (new construction). It wasn't ready, but I decided to take a peak inside the main and sub panels. Power wasn't on yet.

In the sub, there were no grounds. The wiring came into the main panel, and the hots and neutrals were pulled into the sub (next to the main)but grounds were in the main. From looking at the main panel, it was undersized, for the fact that the deadfront had to be smushed to get the cover screws on. The county passed it (not that that means anything).

61.75 KB

62.77 KB

Conduit serves as the grounding conductor, but where are the grounds for the branch circuits? Were they in conduit also?

Originally posted by mcramer

61.75 KB

62.77 KB

Conduit serves as the grounding conductor, but where are the grounds for the branch circuits? Were they in conduit also?

No, Mark, the Romex was stripped as it came into the main panel. 12-2 and 14-2. The grounds were connected in the main panel. They added a grounding kit (in the main panel) to accommodate the extra ground wires. The hots and neutrals were feed into the sub panel. The sub is about two inches away from the main.