numbered lists

What's everyone's thoughts on getting specific on repairs in their recommendations? Sure, sometimes the proper fix is easy to describe but other times it can get more complicated.

Is specifying something that should be avoided when the answers are not clearly evident? In these cases is it ok to rely on the one time blanket statement made in the beginning of the report?

I'm sure it's easier for the more experienced inspectors but what is a safe way for the lesser to handle the curve balls?

I'm not talking about identifying the problem or saying why it's a problem. I'm talking about how you describe what to do about it.

I printed out Kurt's examples on paper and studied it for a long while. I like it a lot but I'm having trouble figuring how I can do it 40 or 60 times in a typical inspection report without spending too much time typing at my computer. That's what my boilerplate is for.

Marc

Oh, I use boilerplate. Plenty of it. But, it's for all the usual stuff like GFCI's, smoke detectors, foil dryer ducts, bath fans exhausting into the attic, uneven risers, guard and handrails, etc., etc. I've got a bunch of stuff for the masonry issues I see every day; lintels, flashing, incompatible mortars, all have dozens of boilerplate options; I choose the right option for the condition.

I have a Comment Library that's word searchable. Both the things I put up are "boilerplate", tweaked with a little customization.

The boilerplate that's wretched is the stuff from Porter Valley and those like them, with all the idiotic meaningless crap and disclaimers.

W

I'm not talking about identifying the problem or saying why it's a problem. I'm talking about how you describe what to do about it.

If you know the answer, tell them the answer. If you don't, say so. I say "I don't know" at least once in nearly every report.

"The furnace isn't functional; I don't know why. Have a furnace tech fix it".

"The masonry is a screwed up mess because of XYZ; I have no idea what it would cost to fix it. Get a masonry contractor that understands mortar compatibility to tell you what's it's going to cost to repair."

OTOH, when you know, tell them.

"The guardrails have spaces >4" between the balusters; this would allow small children to squeeze through and fall. Repair the balusters so there are no spaces >4".

"There's no saddle behind the chimney; this greatly increases the likelihood for leaks in extreme weather. Have a saddle built to divert water around the base of the chimney."

Or something to that effect. If you know, tell them.

I tell em once, someplace in the beginning of the report something like:

Any recommendations I make to "repair" or "replace" or "fix" means you should consult with a professional in the appropriate field to determine all needed repairs and best repair method, to estimate costs and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.

After that, it's "fix it".

Boilerplate is often taken to mean crap text written by the software company.

I've ditched most of that and written my own "crap text" that I use over and over again with slight customization for each inspection.