Sharpen your aim

Joe, what are you proposing with the 17 second differential?

I ran it again, and there wasn't any apparent blip in the timeline.

Was there?

Joe is illustrating that the length and angle of the nail shadows could not change that drastically in only 17 seconds.

They're not the same nails casting the shadows, and the first shadow kind of fades out.....the 2nd shadow shows a nail head......

Honest, I have no certain idea if it's all real, but I'm not seeing where that's an accurate observation.

They're not the same nails casting the shadows, and the first shadow kind of fades out.....the 2nd shadow shows a nail head......

Honest, I have no certain idea if it's all real, but I'm not seeing where that's an accurate observation.

No, they're not the same nails casting the shadows, but ..... they both have heads. Why is only one head casting a shadow? As far as the angle of the shadows, the first nail is driven in slightly off perpendicular, but when I did some experimenting with a flashlight and pen on a wall, I found the angle of the pen relative to the wall didn't really change the angle of the shadow. Only moving the flashlight (or the sun) could do that.

And look at the shank of the first nail fired after it was (supposedly) split. It looks longer than it does in the first picture. But that, I grant you, might not be an accurate observation because the camera was at different distances in the two shots.

I'm seeing 3 nail head shadows. I've been staring at this for way too long trying to find anomalies, and I can't find any that I'm not able to explain pretty easily.

I'm thinking there's no way those two Bubba's were able to imagine, design, engineer, and fabricate this illusion. There's always the element of luck, and given smarts or luck, I'll take luck almost every time.

Honestly, I'm almost more amazed by the nail gun artist. I've spent my life sketching, drawing, and painting, and that guy whipped out a halfway decent sketch in a few seconds with nails, fer chrissakes........

You take a fourth person who's not in the shot and not holding the camera.

He walks over, pulls the nail, drills a 1/4" hole and inserts in the hole a prefabricated nail with pieces of three different ground flat and pre-bent nails glued to it and then walks out of the shot. Then you edit the tape to remove the 17 seconds it took him to do that and digitally clean up any visual anomalies and you've accounted for the 17 seconds.

I once had the technicians at the AFKN broadcast station in Seoul cut and modify a video tape so that I could use it to trick a suspect. You could look at that thing all day and not visually detect a flaw; it takes a geek to find the clues in the tape that give it away.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm seeing 3 nail head shadows. I've been staring at this for way too long trying to find anomalies, and I can't find any that I'm not able to explain pretty easily.

I'm thinking there's no way those two Bubba's were able to imagine, design, engineer, and fabricate this illusion. There's always the element of luck, and given smarts or luck, I'll take luck almost every time.

You're assuming that it takes smarts to pull of a video like this. It doesn't. The technology is advanced but the people using it needn't be all that special. What's that they say about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic?

Honestly, I'm almost more amazed by the nail gun artist. I've spent my life sketching, drawing, and painting, and that guy whipped out a halfway decent sketch in a few seconds with nails, fer chrissakes........

The sketch was there the whole time. (Admittedly, nicely done with nails) But he didn't do it with the nail gun. In the video, the nails were hidden at the beginning and slowly revealed to look as if he were applying the nails. It's simple video trickery and its getting easier to do all the time. High schoolers can do this stuff with ease (and a Macbook).

- Jim Katen, Oregon