Fabry's Big Adventure

It didn't go Sunday.

Apparently the Realtor couldn't break away from her obligations to secure what is likely to be a 100,000 dollar commission. The inspection has been tentatively re-scheduled for Saturday morning. She wanted to know if when I was done with the 7,000 square foot 80 year old house w/ seven bathrooms, and the 1500 square foot guest house, and the boat house, if I could give her a copy of the inspection right then.

I'm glad it was re-scheduled.. I'm nervous about a job this size and I've had the opportunity to read up on my weak areas. Those include plumbing, hvac, electrical, structure, roofing and report writing. Besides those, I'm all set.

Thanks for asking though, and thanks for the advice..you and Mike both. I'll post when it's over.

So, Inquiring minds wanna know....what did you tell her?

"Sure, yes ma'am, I'll have a Summary for you as soon as I'm done!"

"Not a problem, it'll be a breeze because my Checklist doesn't have enough space for a house this size"

LOL...j/k Chad...Good Luck

BTW...some free advice...it's worth what you paid for it. I use to find myself re-inspecting the same rooms whenever I did these million room homes. I know leave the light on in each bedroom I check and then when I'm done, I work my way back out turning lights off.

Beats the heck out of leaving a trail of Ginger bread crumbs. (unless the Realtor comes behind you turning the lights off)

Stupid nag probably had a tennis lesson.....

While every fiber in my being wants to tell realtors like this just what I think, I usually smile & act real nice when they insuate themselves into my business. Reason being, I've had the bi---es come up w/reasons why I shouldn't do the job & talk the customer out of using me. It's amazing, but there are still a lot of folks out there who think the realtor's are important. I save the scathing reparte' for after the job when I don't give a rat's ass what they might think. I especially like taking their card & let them expect that they are going to get a report, & then never send it. When they call to ask, I inform them how it works and hang up.

These sorts of homes attract the weirdest realtors, and very often, REALLY weird clients. Be careful. I've done enough of these sorts of homes that I really don't care if I do any more; they are hard work. Bragging rights are fun for a while, but easy money is easy.

Take some digital pics to post; sounds really interesting.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Apparently the Realtor couldn't break away from her obligations to secure what is likely to be a 100,000 dollar commission.

Unbelievable. And we're out trying to scratch out a decent living job by job. Barf.

She wanted to know if when I was done with the 7,000 square foot 80 year old house w/ seven bathrooms, and the 1500 square foot guest house, and the boat house, if I could give her a copy of the inspection right then.

I'm with Kurt. I know what I'd love to say to that, but I'd play it smart until it was too late to get hurt by her.

I'm glad it was re-scheduled.. I'm nervous about a job this size and I've had the opportunity to read up on my weak areas.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself...AND REALLY SCREWING IT UP ROYALLY!

By the way, I'm jealous and you suck. [:-irked]

Brian G.

Don't You Need Help With That? (send plane ticket, first class please)

If they were nuts enough to go for the full 6%, that's $84,000. That's getting close to the 100K. Most commissions in that price bracket are staged @ around 4-5%, but one never knows.

Any way it's cut, it's totally insane. Can you imagine anyone paying that kind of commission for a securities acquisition?

Well, yes; no one entity or individual gets the full commission. There is a reason the listing agenst like being the selling agent too; they get more.

There are all sorts of ridiulous splits that go on. The simple referral of a customer to another realtor gets you a 1/2% should the other realtor close a deal. The average (single) commission rate is somewhere around 1 1/2%-2 1/2% after you split w/ the broker. On a deal this large, that can still net you around 20K.

I lost the job.

When I called yesterday to confirm the time and date with the buyer, he was quite surprised to hear from me. His REALTOR, in an effort to show how sorry she was about not being able to make the original inspection we had scheduled, arranged and paid for an inspector to come the following day. She was supposed to call me and cancel on behalf of her client. That part must have slipped her mind.

Her inspector was so excellent that he was done in a little under two hours.

I'm quite miffed.

Yeah, that blows. My spidey sense sez that the realtor figured what she was going to get w/you (a real inspection), threw up a smoke screen, & did the deal w/ "her" guy. These things are always kind of touchy; big money, weird people.

I've had it happen more than a couple times. This is why you don't quit the day job.

This is the kind of thing that brings out the vindictive, payback-at-all-costs streak that runs down Mom's side of the family. I'd call the client and offer to inspect the damned house for free now (out of curiousity and love of great old houses of course), and spend plenty of time getting it absolutely right. Then let the friggin' chips fall where they may.

Brian G.

Not Kidding, Dead Serious