Unusual Mark on Shingles

Jim Katen

Looks like a fungus or some sort of growth. Looks like more white streaky spots are left of the well-defined one. And, you can see other biological growth either side of the chimney, but not below it, as I believe the ions in the metal chimney flashing wash down and kill the growth, or some such heeby-jeeby.

Looks like a fungus or some sort of growth. Looks like more white streaky spots are left of the well-defined one. . .

Yes. One of the lighter streaks is from the skin on my forearm and the other is from my left foot.

Holy shite! If it were me there would be brown streaks as well.

Tell the truth, a bit nerve racking???

911, what is your emergency?

"18-year-old three tab comp shingles"

Everything you needed for your report was right there.

Not really, one can't inspect the condition of the crown and what can be seen of the flue from the ground. You also can't check the flashing interlacing or tightness of the mortar around the flashings from the ground.

There's plenty of reason to go up there, and an inspector who is experienced at how to properly climb a roof and knows his limits can easily get up there to do it; but red shingles for some reason are particularly treacherous and one needs to be extra careful when climbing a roof that's covered with them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

There's plenty of reason to go up there, and an inspector who is experienced at how to properly climb a roof and knows his limits can easily get up there to do it; but red shingles for some reason are particularly treacherous and one needs to be extra careful when climbing a roof that's covered with them.

Now you tell me?

Yes, the little suckers must have teflon or something similar in the granules. Sadly, I was unaware of that particular feature of red shingles; we don't have many of them in Oregon and this house was in Vancouver. It's Washington's revenge against inspectors who have the temerity to cross the river.

I've slipped a little on comp shingles before, but this was crazy, once I started slipping, I just accelerated. I was in no danger, because there was a low-pitched porch roof just below me (just as Bill described). I would never have climbed a 12:12 roof unless there was a break fall at the bottom somewhere.

No, there was really no good reason for me to climb this one. It was pure laziness. If I didn't climb it, I would have had to move my ladder to at least 3 or 4 other locations to see what I needed to see. That would have told me everything I needed to know. Climbing was just easier.

Oh, and there were no brown streaks and no screaming like a little girl either. I like to think of the sound I made as more like a manly roar.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Good one, Jim. Sorry about the pants. You could make them into shorts, and show off you battle scars. [:)]

I've frequently done what Jim has illustrated in his picture but, there would be an addition, with a low slope roof just below the 12/12 gable roof, to stop my rapid descent. I don't do that crap, with only my ladder strapped to the gutter to stop me, anymore.

You probably figured out an inspection fee doesn't cover taking that kind of risk. Yes, the client might appreciate the bonus info re: whatever you need to see up there, but that doesn't compensate anybody for getting hurt, possibly terminating his career.

I have rope to toss over the roof if necessary, and I've used it once, to get back down from the chimney. Wasn't worth the risk and hassle.

One time, I figured I could scramble up from the dormer and grab the roof vent on a 12:12. I caught the edge of the vent and found out a gang of wasps were building a nest in there. It was decision time! I chose to hang on and made a cautious exit. Lucky. [:)]

I read an interview with Stephen King once, and he explained how horror is much more sympathetic than comedy. When the chick's inside the house, and the bad dude is lurking somewhere outside, ready to pounce, one worries for her . . . fears for her. But one certainly doesn't laugh and think, "Oh, boy. This gal's about to suffer all kinds of nasty before she reaches room temperature. That's hilarious."

But the notion of someone slipping on a banana peel and perhaps cracking their head open? Or Moe jabbing his fingers into Curly's eye sockets? We laugh at that stuff.

I'm not really sure why . . .

Having said that, though, sorry for the rough trip, Jim. I'm sure there must have been a point where you were thinking, "Sh*t, I hope the ambulance gets here in a hurry."

Sorry it happened . . .