Mystery Devices

Jim Katen

I've never seen these before and I have no idea what they do. They were placed next to the Cat 5 outlets throughout the house. They don't seem to be mechanically operated; when I push on them or try to turn them, nothing moves. They have no distinctive markings that might identify what they are.

Is anyone familiar with them?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Cat 5 Accessory (1).JPG

78.25 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Cat 5 Accessory (2).JPG

85.46 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Cat 5 Accessory (3).JPG

53.92 KB

My guess is pretty bad.[:D]

Although, I installed a set of "resonance stlye" for the lack of the proper term, that uses it's mounting surface as the cone. Like a glass top table, wall, etc. VERY COOL speakers. Now understand I didn't confuse them with a set of B&W towers, but still impressive.

Perhaps they are using those speakers as the doorbell? Or intercom?

In my house, I couldn't hear the doorbell upstairs or in the garage, so I added additional speakers there (electronic doorbell).

Not the doorbell and not music speakers. There was a separate doorbell system and music speakers with volume controls everywhere. These piezoelectric things were located directly next to the cat 5 outlets. One location in particular was very strange. It was on the wall of the hallway, down low near the floor, right next to the top of the stairs. There wasn't room there for a table. I couldn't figure out why they had the cat 5 there at all, let alone why there'd be this speaker. And there was one in the laundry room.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

They are alarm sounders. They have no fidelity. The intent of their design is to emit the most anoying sound possible as cheaply as possible.

My guess given their location to the cat 5 plugs is that the alarm system design was to include an alarm when any equipment became disconnected from one of the cat 5 plugs.

Chris, Oregon

They are alarm sounders. They have no fidelity. The intent of their design is to emit the most anoying sound possible as cheaply as possible.

My guess given their location to the cat 5 plugs is that the alarm system design was to include an alarm when any equipment became disconnected from one of the cat 5 plugs.

Chris, Oregon

Ah! Of course. That makes perfect sense, thanks.

- Jim Katen, Oregon