Gel like substance on siding

CHI

Hey there...

I was doing an inspection today on a duplex that is actually for myself. When I inspected the bottoms of the planks, I found a gel like substance on them. The siding that was covered by the eaves was in good shape and had no delamination, but the siding on the decks, which were exposed more directly to the elements, had this gel and were delaminating.

Any suggestions would be helpful...

thanks

Rob

Originally posted by CHI

Hey there...

I was doing an inspection today on a duplex that is actually for myself. When I inspected the bottoms of the planks, I found a gel like substance on them. The siding that was covered by the eaves was in good shape and had no delamination, but the siding on the decks, which were exposed more directly to the elements, had this gel and were delaminating.

Any suggestions would be helpful...

thanks

Rob

What kind of siding?

What kind of gel? (color, texture, etc.)

If it's LP siding, there was a fad for a while of treating it with an elastomeric coating called "Flex Bind." I'd describe it more as a rubbery coating than a gel, though.

Give us more information. Pretend that we're far away from you and can't see the siding.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Sorry it took so long to reply, I had my 2 year old with me all day. Can't get too much accomplished with her around.

I believe the siding is either weyerhauser or a masonite product. I have attatched some photos.

The gel is is clear and felt like hair gel. It was not thick or hard but felt very watery. Could it be the onset of a mold or fungus? What about the breakdown of adhesives that are used in the construction of the siding itself?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DripEdge_Medium.jpg

43.36 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DripEdge2_Medium.jpg

60.82 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif SidingSurface_Medium.jpg

55.82 KB

Hey guys,

I'm still researching the siding on this one. I've asked the seller to replace the damaged siding and to inform me of it's manufacturer. I'll keep you posted.

I did go by the unit yesterday and still could not locate any "LP" knots. There were some full 16' lengths, but to my untrained eye, I did not see any.

Thanks for your insight.