Split system - when to replace

MPdesign

Link to 427A

Dad was a building inspector, grew up on a job site, classically trained in Mechanical Engineering, 12 years as large commercial electrical design/builder, & 6 years inspecting

The link is just something that I found on the net while looking for my own answers. I have no idea of its uses.

Your link led me to the manufacturer of R 427 with claims that it is a suitable replacement for R 22 in select systems.

Responding anew to your original post: My experience has shown me the wisdom of not depending on the claims of a refrigerant manufacturer to engineer a change in refrigerant for specific equipment.

I'd suggest that you get the blessing of the manufacturer of that specific equipment first on using a new refrigerant and oil before proceeding on the conversion.

I framed houses in Peachtree Corners (northeast Atlanta) in the late 80's and early 90's. Beautiful place to live.

Marc

To support my stance on oil recovery, I direct you to the Robinair website for the model 34700Z. I have not used that particular model but it also removes oil.

The 34700Z is equipped with automatic oil drain. During the recovery process the air conditioning system oil is collected and drained into a bottle built into the unit. Robinair AC machines are also great for recharging your air conditioning system.

That unit is for automotive R-134a use only. The operating manual is located here

I just got off the phone with their tech support - 800 822 5561 (anyone can call).

While a minor amount of oil might be removed it doesn't happen everytime and the recovery machine is NOT designed to remove the oil from the system. The oil that does come out would be in a light mist form.

As stated before, vacuum pumps & recovery machines are not designed to remove compressor oil.