A reminder to be careful

I saw this in my local newspaper this morning, and I realized the poor guy who suffered the fall was probably doing what he'd done a thousand times before. Yesterday, though, there was a misstep or some other miscue, and the guy paid for the mistake with his life.

Does anyone else share the experience I have every couple of weeks or so? Where you find yourself on a prickly roof and realize you're an idiot and a few hundred bucks isn't worth risking your life for?

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/22/1276 ... n-job.html

Does anyone else share the experience I have every couple of weeks or so? Where you find yourself on a prickly roof and realize you're an idiot and a few hundred bucks isn't worth risking your life for?

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/22/1276 ... n-job.html

I think about every single time I get my ladder out! Might also be the reason that I no longer try to scale every roof I see at a home. I'm so thankful that the vast majority of the homes in my area have roofs with pitches greater than 6/12 and are just too steep to safely get on.

If it looks steep and if I just don't fee good about getting up on the roof I don't! I pull out the trusty binoculars and survey from the ground.

What a timely post. For some reason, I woke up at 5 am today. Not wanting to get up, I just stared at the ceiling, letting strange thoughts go through my head. One of the thoughts was how I'm going to do this job when I'm old. I turn 50 in August. Unless I want to live in the almshouse (they still have them, don't they?), I see myself working till I'm 70. Will I be able to climb roofs at 70? If not, will I know at what point to stop? If I stop, how can I continue to do inspections when I feel I'm shortchanging the buyer by doing a half-assed roof inspection from the ground or the edge of the ladder.

I certainly don't want the buyers watching me on a roof, while commenting to each other "that guy's too old to be up there'.

Yes, back in the 70's I would charge up and down ladders like there was no gravity. One day, the old carpenter came out and called me an idiot. [:)]

One place I am very careful now is using the short ladder up on the vinyl deck. Will it stay put while I'm getting back on? Sometimes the long ladder on solid ground is a wiser choice.

You don't have to be a daredevil to impress your clients. I use reasonable caution and once in a blue moon, the camera on a long paint pole.

What a timely post. For some reason, I woke up at 5 am today. Not wanting to get up, I just stared at the ceiling, letting strange thoughts go through my head. One of the thoughts was how I'm going to do this job when I'm old. I turn 50 in August. Unless I want to live in the almshouse (they still have them, don't they?), I see myself working till I'm 70. Will I be able to climb roofs at 70? If not, will I know at what point to stop? If I stop, how can I continue to do inspections when I feel I'm shortchanging the buyer by doing a half-assed roof inspection from the ground or the edge of the ladder.

I certainly don't want the buyers watching me on a roof, while commenting to each other "that guy's too old to be up there'.

the very reason I chose to grow into a company not stay one inspector. I can make more cash working alone but that business model only provides a minimal retirement. I like to travel a lot!

Well after 11 years of this gig Monday I set my ladder up as usual to get on a low sloped roof. Heavy rain during the day but not raining at the time of the inspection. Ladder (little giant) was set up on a wood deck at the approriate angle. Went up looked around and as soon as I stepped off the roof onto the ladder the feet of the ladder slid out and I went horizontal. landed on top of the ladder from about 8 feet, whacked my head on the wood deck. At first I was certain I was hurt bad. Laid there a few seconds and collected myself. No blood, and I was able to stand up. Walked it off and can say other than being very sore for a few days I'm ok. I'm in pretty good physical condition and I'm convinced that helped me survive the fall. I have been pretty timid though the rest of the week and have used the binoculars more than usual.

Just got back from camping with the grand kids all weekend to see this. It's less than two miles from where I live. Sure wakes you up and makes you think about what risks we take for what we make. Bet I'll hear more about it at he coffee shop in the morning.

I don't take so many risks since last June. I think a lot more about which roofs to climb and which ones not to climb.

-