Kind of gross -- fungus or?

AHI in AR

I had an inspection last week on a vacant, bank owned property. The sellers had thoughtfully thrown some items into all of the toilets to entertain me. When I opened the lid on one of them, it almost looked like the wig from a doll sitting in the bowl. Very fine strands of extremely glossy, black thread-like material crisscrossed over the underlying material. In looking more closely at it, I realized it had grown there, possibly some sort of fungus. The second photo shows the round shapes present at the ends of each strand.

While I didn't get real close and breathe deeply, there was not a really strong smell.

So.....

Does anyone know what it is? I couldn't find anything that was any help when I Google'd it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010523151322_HPIM4175.jpg

48.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010523151427_HPIM4177.jpg

48.68 KB

I see that stuff pretty often in crawlspaces, growing out of piles of animal poop. It's some kind of fungus. I don't know the official name, but I call it black thready poop fungus.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yeah, I've seen it there on occasion too. I just haven't ever seen it inside. Getting a decent pic of it in a crawlspace was that much more challenging.

I also wonder what the white, spiky growth found on dead insects in the crawlspace is. That's oddly interesting also.

Don't know what it is, but thanks for sharing. [:)]

It could be related to crawlspace hair fungus alright. Should we care? [:)]

I found some of that a few weeks ago. The picture is not great, but that's as close as I was going to get. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010523233213_hairfungi.jpg

27.21 KB

That photo looks like Don King's hair...