Oven Wiring

Jerry Simon

This is a sub-panel. The bottom four wires on the right side are for a 240-volt oven feed (the two wires off the 40-amp, 240-breaker, and the white and green wires on the neutral bus). Do the green ground and the white neutral wires pose a problem being connected to the neutral bus?

I know in a sub they're supposed to be isolated, but it was just weird to see, especially since you can see the separate ground wire from the main panel attached to the back of the sub-panelboard's cabinet/enclosure to the right of these branch circuit wires. Thanks for any insight.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010615193912_misc%20020.jpg

40.23 KB

This is a sub-panel. The bottom four wires on the right side are for a 240-volt oven feed (the two wires off the 40-amp, 240-breaker, and the white and green wires on the neutral bus). Do the green ground and the white neutral wires pose a problem being connected to the neutral bus?

I know in a sub they're supposed to be isolated, but it was just weird to see, especially since you can see the separate ground wire from the main panel attached to the back of the sub-panelboard's cabinet/enclosure to the right of these branch circuit wires. Thanks for any insight.

Yes. The range's grounding wire should land on a grounding terminal bar.

Was there one or was there just that feeder grounding lug?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yes. The range's grounding wire should land on a grounding terminal bar.

Was there one or was there just that feeder grounding lug?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Just the feeder & lug; no ground bus. And if they were savy enough to install the feeder, then why...? That's what threw me for a loop.

Ironically I commonly see something similar. Both wires land on the terminal strip.........my boilerplate:

This panel does not meet current safety guidelines. It has a four wire feed but it is not configured in a manner that can correctly utilize the four conductors. All of the neutral and ground wires are bonded together. This practice, common to our area is improper. The simple solution is to have a terminal strip installed and bonded to the panel. All of the ground wires can then be moved to the new terminal strip. This will free up additional connection points so that only one neutral wire will be connected under any screw. Any bonding jumper between the panel and the neutral terminal strip should then be removed.