Headed out to Chicago next week to watch my Phillies beat up on the Cubs for a few games. Any recommendations for good drinks and good food?

Paris, France.

Philly fans ain't allowed around here. Keep in mind, also, the last US Supreme Court case decision, just in case you're still thinking of sneaking in.

Don't listen to the curmudgeonly Simon; he's out there in the styx shooting his guns @ neighbors dogs. There's plenty of room for Phillies fans in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field.

You're gonna be in Wrigleyvillle, which is a distinct district and area in the City.

Drinks are easy; the entire area is filled with opportunities to drink and be merry. The stinkin' streets are full of drunk, merry people on game days (and nights). Follow them if you can't find places on your own.

What kind of food you like?

Italian sausage and green pepper. I used to love to go to the county fair in New York because there would be what looked like acres of vendors serving up Italian sausages with fried green peppers and onions. I was in Chicago last year when I saw it on the menu and pigged out. After about 40 years it was pretty good. I did an encore this year when I went back again.

Any of you ChiTown or Nooyawk guys get the recipe for how they do up those sausages? I've tried picking up Italian sausage at the market and cooking them but it never comes out the same.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Not worried about Simon, us philly fans can hold our own. [:-bigmout

As far as food goes, I'm always looking for that dive place that only the locals know about with the best stuff. Of course if theres a Gordon Ramsay place around there, that would work too!!

Thanks Kurt!

Anything in Wrigleyville is crowded on game days. I tend to like the Asian stuff; Cozy Noodle is right around the corner from the stadium on Sheffield. You can cop a decent noodle at about a half dozen joints all within walking distance of the stadium.

It's your basic neighborhood noodle joint, w/the owners particular twist on the usual Pan-Asian menu stuff.

If you're into burgers, beefs (sometimes called "beeves"), and that sort of thing, it's everywhere around there. There's probably a couple hundred spots for drinking and eating. No exaggeration.

Walk around, check it out.

Any of you ChiTown or Nooyawk guys get the recipe for how they do up those sausages? I've tried picking up Italian sausage at the market and cooking them but it never comes out the same.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's part sausage, and part how you cook it. Grill it. The peppers usually have a little charcoal grill to them, then finished on the griddle. The bread is critical; gotta get some good Italian bread.

I prefer mine with a side of angioplasty.........

I'm with Jerry.

This guy's going to have to act civilized in a real sports town without a friggin court room in the stadium.

Hey Jerry. They traded the best quarterback they ever had to Washington. Maybe you should show him a good time while he's there. He'll be crying during football season this year. And he's from Jersey? Shame.

Here ya go Mike. My old man was an old school butcher.

Get a grinder and don't give out this recipe.

Hot sausage #15 batch

3 oz salt

4 to 6 oz Crushed red pepper

1/2 oz anise

1 1/2 handfull fennel

Grind it twice through the course plate with ice. (Keeps it from burning in the grinder)

Cut the crushed red if you're a sissy.

Well, I had a Philladephia born Phillies fan here last night. We watched a ballgame had a few, and laughed about the new court room in the new stadium. Great guy.

Gave my old man the bad news about how after fifty + years in the business, the tens of thousands of pounds of sausage, Brats and other stuff he's made was probably all garbage, His recipe was junk, he didn't use the correct terminology, and his grinder should have been in a freezer instead of a cooler like EVERYONE elses. It's great to still have him around. We have a lot of fun together.

Let me make it clear up front that I have never made sausage. But I did watch a show on the food network where the host advocated using a slower hand powered grinder rather than a powered one to avoid getting the meat too warm. Friction can be a bitch. The idea was to prevent the spread of bacteria due to having meat that got too warm prior to cooking it.