Found a house for $3,500

I'll take the home that's located 10 miles from nowhere.

That's all well and good until you or someone you love needs emergency medical services in the middle of the night.

Something my fiance and I were talking about. If I have an accident while working on the house it could well be an hour before an ambulance shows up, several hours before I'm in a hospital.

We think it's something worth contemplating before we decide to live in the boonies.

Oh yeah, you can see a little bit of the barn in this shot.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201078193446_100_2228.jpg

81.02 KB

The well is functional, actually. Pretty neat. There is running water in the house. In the barn is a well head with a pump driven by a stationary engine. It pumps water into a tank, then static pressure moves it throughout the house. I was told there is no plumbing on the second floor. Probably all that will need updating.

Thanks for the link to LifeFlight, that looks like a service worth buying!

Yes, that's correct. $3,500 for a house! With an acre of land.

It's being described as a turn of the century farm house fixer upper. Haven't had a chance to see the inside yet.

It is definitely in rough condition, however we could get into a place with no debt if we decide to buy this place. We're thinking that we would need to move a travel trailer or 5th wheel type camper on site to live in until we get this place habitable.

There's a lot going on with this property. Anything jump out at you professionals that I might miss? Anything I should look for when I gain access to the inside? Having a professional inspector look at the place is in the works. He's doing it as a favor and it's a 2 hour drive to the property so he'll come after we look at the inside.

I didn't include pictures of the barn, it's beyond saving as a structure. However some neat wood beams lurk in there...

Click to Enlarge
tn_20107623231_100_2225.jpg

83.02 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201076231030_100_2226.jpg

74.68 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201076232118_100_2227.jpg

82.79 KB

When you are rehabbing it, it would be a good idea to put good fireblocking in in all the walls and floors since it's balloon framed. Since you'll have it opened up, it wouldn't be too hard to get at to do. That can be the difference of a small room and contents fire and burning the place to the ground if you are ever unfortunate enough to have a fire in the home.