And he wants 5K more

gtblum

Did a small kitchen trim job for some elderly folks a couple weeks back. While I was there, they told me of their experience with a local contractor they hired to put an addition on their home.

In addition to the usual not showing up, and wanting more money kind of stuff we always here about, I guess this guy made some kind of comment about being the best carpenter around and that the people were lucky to have him.

Yesterday, I delivered an oak stemware rack I made for them. While I was there they showed me a letter from this guy demanding another five thousand dollars for extras or something. Anyway, they had been nervous about the design of the roof on the addition and asked me to look at it so, I thought I'd show you how the best carpenter around designs and builds in an area that gets 100 + inches of snow annually. Please throw rocks!

Image Insert:

200882683754_1.jpg

66.97 KB

Image Insert:

200882683929_S.jpg

74.04 KB

Image Insert:

200882683950_4.jpg

58.64 KB

Image Insert:

200882684023_6.jpg

123.24 KB

Image Insert:

200882684155_5.jpg

65.28 KB I don't like guys that steal from old people

Your screwing with me right?

The design, the valley, the butchered siding swinging free,the flashing or lack there of, where it's nailed and this one where the rolled roofing becomes the flashing and is on the outside of the siding.

Image Insert:

200882695011_8.jpg

50.56 KB

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me

The transition area between the low and steep doesn't look that bad. It looks like rolled roofing to me because I don't see any bleed out. APP Mod Bit would be better.

The lower courses of the vinyl siding are loose because he ran his flashing up the wall. That's good and I would give that a C+/B- if I were grading it on a curve because most carpenters (or roofers for that matter) wouldn't get that part right and I've seen a whole lot worse than. A metal counterflashing to transition between the siding and roof flashing would complete the detail.

The picture you included in your second post is the one that's gonna cost 5K to complete![:-slaphap

I also see stuff that's so much worse than this, I was sort of curious why you thought it was so atrocious.

This is garden variety poor, not execrably horrific poor.

Was the rolled material, in fact, rolled, or was it an SBS mod bit? SBS can be cold adhered, and there isn't necessarily bleed at the joints depending on a few variables.

Kurt,

I think what's bugging me the most is that I don't see how the unsecured siding will make it one winter around here. I also don't understand why you would use metal flashing only part way down instead of all the way and the whole design seems to lend itself to one giant snow drift that at some point, will be half way up that window and way under the siding. Is it ok to apply the rolled material over the siding? Am I being Chicken little here? I'm no roofer but, what I see looks like trouble.

(disclaimer) Although carpenters should be qualified to identify materials, understand and perform the application them, they should understand and respect that only roofers are roofers. LOL

Certainly not the worst.

The roofing should be behind the lower 2 siding courses.

The siding should be secured.

The wall flashing tins are fine. No need to come down further if the rolled roofing (looks like sbs modified to me) is up under that third shingle course. Two more nails not in the danger zone.

Much depends on the details we can't see. Such as the corner cut and seal at the wall. Or how far under the shingles the modified is run. Will heat from the interior cause an ice problem.etc.