Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About InspktorJim

  • Rank
    Starting Member

Personal Information

  • Location
  • Occupation
  1. I am not using an HP camera, but are you indicating that the "adaptive lighting" can be made to occur in the camera? I agree that not all photos have the same problems, but most often, the HP adaptive lighting capability adequately fixes most of them. If I could just have every picture go through this, and create a separate file so the original is still available, then I would significantly reduce the picture editing one at a time. Jim
  2. I currently use HP Photosmart to do some photo editing prior to pasting them into the report. It has a feature called "Adaptive Lighting" that is really great for selectively altering the contrast in certain areas of a photo. If parts of a photo are very dark, it can lighten up that area selectively, not affecting the other areas. I wonder if anyone has knowledge of any batch photo editors that have this capability. Just select a folder and do an "enhance" to all photos as necessary. It would also be great if it preserved the original photo, and just appended an "a" or "b" to the enhanced
  3. I work for an inspector that has his own self made report template based on MS Word. It is not likely that he would move from this template because the customer base really likes the narrative style he has developed, and he has a lot invested in it. I would like to have an "add-in" that would be a two or three level dropdown list box to select specific predefined text statements, some may be as large as 5K characters. When selected, it would paste the item at the current cursor location, and be formatted per the document formatting at that location. Since he already uses the native autote
  4. I worked at a Lowes for a while last summer. Here in Boise, the Lowes preach customer service, but what it mostly amounts to is welcoming the customer, helping them to the proper isle, and keeping a very neat and clean store. At the same time, Home Depot was getting national attention for very poor in-store customer support, their stores were messy. For both, the training is weak, the pay is poor, and the turnover is high. Not the characteristics of where to go for home repair advice. Both these stores have some good people, but the average homeowner will not know how to tell the differenc
  5. Hi I have two 1/2 inch frost free sill cocks on my house, both at inconveinient places. They also have fairly low flow for using hose end sprinklers. (I am fortunate to have pressurized irrigation water for most of the growing season, but need additional water at the front and rear end of the season.) I have to move them, and would like to increase the water flow at the same time. At this time, both are at the tail ends of 30+ foot 1/2 inch pex runs, and when you actually look at the working oriface for the water at the interior end of the sill cock, it is about 3/8 inch in diameter. I
  6. Several times I have seen the spa tubs with a double sided gas fireplace almost at the edge of a spa (jacuzzi like) tub. Under the fireplace, where the controls are, is an outlet for the blower. Access to this outlet requires no tools. IRC 2006 E4.103.4.4 says that lights, fans, outlets must be at least 5 feet. The distance becomes greater for luminairs within 7.5 feet. So, shouldn't this mean that to a gas fireplace with accessible electric service must meet the distances (5 to 7 feet) or be controlled by a gfci device?
  7. I am a relative "newbie", that feels that there are other paths than the one expressed above. My history goes like this: I have had a degree in Electronic Engineering for 30 years. Designed, drafted, engineered and built 2200 sq ft 3 level cabin in the mountains, with full compliance to the State Building codes and requirements. I learned a lot there, but certainly not enough to call myself an inspector. Other than that, no experience in construction or codes. (by the way, the instructors on several occasions told me that being an engineer would get in the way of being a home inspector. I
  8. I did a lot of searching on the web, and found mostly that it is $4, and the only sites that sold them referred to Mfgd homes and RV. One reader board mentioned that they were unreliable. They are a spring and rubber flapper. The flapper doesnt last long, and the spring breaks. Found no info regarding installation. So, wrote up that: 1. unreliable 2. may be mounted in wrong orientation 3. may need to be higher than highest water level of sink. 4. call qualified plumber. I would still like to find the installation instructions. I will call the local code official soon and
  9. Hi I inspected a remodeled 1917 home that had no vent for the sink drain, just a black device that is mounted horizontally. (I believe Air Admittance Valves are mounted vertically.) The markings are "pro vent AB8-1". I looked at the pro vent website, and see only one venting product, that is not even close to this device. Can anyone tell me more or guide me to a site with the information? Jim (whew! My first post) Image Insert: 61.86 KB[:-graduat
  • Create New...