I own an 1889 Victorian home in southern Ohio with six fireplaces. Three down and three upstairs (bedrooms). The previous owner brought gas intro the three downstairs, installed gas logs and all is well with the exception of some white/black residue that falls within the chimney. It is more annoying than anything else.
Question #1: Other than capping the chimney what can be done to the interior of the chimney to stop this residue?
Question #2: The upstairs fireplaces need converted as well. Would you recommend vented or unvented logs?