double hung attic windows

Whalen68

Another project on my 1889 Victorian is to do a better job conditioning the attic space.  Although I do not have immediate plans to convert it to a living space, I do need to address insulation and window replacement.  For now, windows are my priority. 

I have three pairs of double hung wood frame windows.  Extremely inefficient single pane glass in various stages of operability.  I want to go with the wooden double hung window concept but I need insulating glass and a screen in order to ventilate the space.  I want to be able to paint the exterior to match the rest of the house.

I realize these have to be custom.  Would anyone recommend a vendor out there?  I am in the Columbus Ohio area.       

Kolbe and Kolbe, and Marvin make sash kits that will be an easy way to do what you want. The best way to screen these is with a triple track storm. Marvin Integrity makes a fiberglass replacement window (fits inside your existing window) that is paintable and has an integral screen. 

Marvin is going through something right now. They just closed there NY distribution center and locked out their smaller dealers. I would imagine they are doing similar things in other markets as well. 

I would recommend Sunrise windows from Temperance, Michigan. They come in a bunch of colors, are available painted, and from the ground will be hard to distinguish from your wood sash with next to zero maintenance. 

13 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

Kolbe and Kolbe, and Marvin make sash kits that will be an easy way to do what you want. The best way to screen these is with a triple track storm. Marvin Integrity makes a fiberglass replacement window (fits inside your existing window) that is paintable and has an integral screen. 

Marvin is going through something right now. They just closed there NY distribution center and locked out their smaller dealers. I would imagine they are doing similar things in other markets as well. 

I would recommend Sunrise windows from Temperance, Michigan. They come in a bunch of colors, are available painted, and from the ground will be hard to distinguish from your wood sash with next to zero maintenance. 

Sunrise is a good company.