AL & Paste

DonTx

Hi Donnie,

I don't think anyone will be able to do that because it isn't actually 'required'. This is from Douglas Hansen's Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings:

Oxidation

Loose connections cause arcing at the terminals, resulting in formation of aluminum oxide (which acts as an insulator), and overheating to the point where conductor insulation fails. Small white flecks are often seen near the terminals in breaker panels (be careful though not to mistake drywall dust for aluminum oxide). One way to minimize the problem is to apply anti-oxidant paste to the conductors before inserting them in ther terminals. As the terminal is tightened, the paste oozes out and prevents air from reaching the contact points of the metal. Oxide-inhibiting compounds were first mentioned in the NEC® in 1965. While the NEC® does not specifically require anti-oxidant, it is a good ideal for all aluminum wire connections to breakers. The NEC® does require that it be applied neatly , and there should be no excess paste in the panel. Anti-oxidant is factory installed for many larger terminals, under the assumption that the conductor will be aluminum. Older installations often have no antioxidant, or have it only on the large stranded conductors. It is a good idea at all breakers terminals and the terminals for neutral and grounding conductors.(Pg. 5-28)

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Okay,

Douglas' paper from Alcan has been added to the downloads section. I was wrong (I often am when it comes to computer-related things). [:-banghead]

If anyone needs to add something to the downloads section it needs to be done by an administrator, so contact me via e-mail when you want to share something with everyone.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The reason I first asked about the paste is because my inspector said he saw it in his Code Check but couldn't find it in the NEC. I've always been told that you used paste on exposed AL wire so assumed it was code.

Thanks for all the information guys, it's appreciated.

Donald

• 2 weeks later...