Bathroom Ventilation Code Violation

eric88

Hello,

I live in a NJ high-rise built in the 1960's.

My bathroom in not ventilated. The main duct that vents to the roof is actually in another common-area hallway bathroom located next to my apartment. Is it legal to run a horizontal duct from my bathroom into the other bathroom in order to connect to the main duct leading to the roof. It seems that steam from my bathroom would condense in this line so this might not be a good or even legal solution.

Does anybody have an opinion or knowledge about this type of situation. Online I could only find documents that say a bathroom must be ventilated with a window or by mechanical ventilation - nothing specific about my situation.

Eric

Originally posted by eric88

Hello,

My bathroom in not ventilated. The main duct that vents to the roof is actually in another common-area hallway bathroom located next to my apartment. Is it legal to run a horizontal duct from my bathroom into the other bathroom in order to connect to the main duct leading to the roof. It seems that steam from my bathroom would condense in this line so this might not be a good or even legal solution.

Does anybody have an opinion or knowledge about this type of situation. Online I could only find documents that say a bathroom must be ventilated with a window or by mechanical ventilation - nothing specific about my situation.

Eric

Humm, sounds like you are looking for a legal opine!

Eric, I would first contact the local municipal inspection official (AHJ). You can call the city hall in your town and they can get you in contact with them. Ask them your question but leave out the words "illegal" or "legal". Just ask them if it is OK, or if they have a problem with that from a "codes" standpoint.

You should be able to get an answer. If you are heading down the road of litigation, and it kind of sounds like it I would hire an inspector who specializes in litigation consulting and this type of work so they can put it in writing for you.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Originally posted by eric88

Hello,

Eric

Humm, sounds like you are looking for a legal opine!

Eric, I would first contact the local municipal inspection official (AHJ). You can call the city hall in your town and they can get you in contact with them. Ask them your question but leave out the words "illegal" or "legal". Just ask them if it is OK, or if they have a problem with that from a "codes" standpoint.

You should be able to get an answer. If you are heading down the road of litigation, and it kind of sounds like it I would hire an inspector who specializes in litigation consulting and this type of work so they can put it in writing for you.

Thanks Scott. I will call the local inspection office.

Eric