Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Personal Information

  • Location
  • Occupation

dbyers's Achievements

New Member

New Member (2/5)



  1. This was new construction. Mixing valve located in a master bath wash basin base cabinet. The tub and shower water did not have reduced temperature. Don't know what this was intended for?? Thanks. Image Insert: 145.99 KB
  2. Chris, some of the HIs on this forum are fast typers, and pretty smart to boot, but at 80 WPM you can get more done in less time. Here is free trial for a custom typing tutorial. A friend liked it, it sped her fingers up and mainly helped put them if the right spots. Maybe it will help. Just go to www.customtyping.com, for free trail and cheap after that. Dave
  3. Chris, Since you have your InspecIt customized, you must be spending time typing in house specific comments, describing conditions and providing solutions. I think one has to decide if they want to do it this way or… It’s tough to find a middle route. But I think one can reduce office time, as you suggest, by compiling basic info on site with a hand held. I think that another method to less time in the office may be to use incomplete sentences. For obvious repair items, this woks fine. Another is to discipline away from adding those thoughtful conscientious key strokes. Could be like quitting smoking. You may have heard others say: you need to download various software programs to find the one that works for you. I bought InspecIt several years ago, but was too computer dumb or inpatient to efficiently get my database in, took too many steps per comment. If you have a data base to install, I think there are better ones out there. A data base system makes this easier - I downloaded Whisper, it was simple, and liked the ease of entering my data, but the format options were limited and the support was not geared to facilitate changes, so I didn’t buy it. I stuck with my own creation using MS Word. If there were another data base system out there, I would like to see it. There was someone who posted a few days ago who was honing up his report using Word’s (hidden) virtues. I think he uses a NAHI avatar. I wanted to get back to that thread but I can’t find it. Anyone know where that was? If you are planning on tech-ing it up in the field, consider doing it now. The longer you spend time doing your reports in the evening, the harder it may be to switch out. For what we make on an inspection, I think doing time consuming narratives is not fair to our business. That seems to me to be a rub in our profession for putting out this information. A choice we make. Dave
  4. Yes, dito on this. The sad thing is that dryer roof jack exhaust hoods are made and sold with screens installed. Also, most of these have smaller mouth, 12 sq inches or less. There are large mouthed dampered mouths available for roof dryer vent terminations. Now wouldn't it make sense for sidewall terminations to use larger hooded or plastic dampers (lint collectors), even if a 4-6" vent reducer would have to be fitted, given the safety nature here.
  5. This site has a list of vent lenghts for various manufacturers: http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml I'd recommend upgrading by insulating the vent in the pictures. Dave
  6. Chris, I was asked to speak for them about five years ago. See Scott's post; it's like that. I turned it down as I didn't think the audience was a likely referral source. It also seemed like the audience wouldn't have that great an interest in a home inspection topic, that Lorman was filling the podium. If you can get a feel for who the attending groups are and work some marketing into your talk, sell home inspections, maybe it's worth the time.
  7. I was wrong, turns out Collinswood is not owned by Weyerh. The company bought the Weyerh plant that made Weyerh hardboard siding in 1996. Weyerh, since then (1996) has distributed the product for Collins, which in 2000 changed siding name to TruWood. I spoke w/ tech at Collinswood who advised there were no major changes to the product, and that only three tenths of a percent have claims, going back to the late 90's. He was a bit denfencive about the CA suit. One change has been a sharper angle on drip edge.
  8. Randy didn't know if you had a look at the knot patterns. I mentioned 61" as this was/is the repeating pattern for both Weyerhaeuser and the pup company product. yes, its hard sometimes to identify all of em correctly, to even know all of them. Then, I simply identify the siding as engineered wood, espouse on potentials for failure and maintenance required, finish the report and say good night, as you have.
  9. I couldn't tell from your second pic Randy, but the tell tale I use for Weyerhaeuser is knots 61" apart. But it sure looks like Collinswood TruWood, esp. if only half inch thick - I believe was the replacement for the before 2000 Wyhser siding that was in class action. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the eras. Mainly responding here to give this link that shows tons of pics with knots, mainly of Masonite, but some of Truwood and Forestex. These are all hardboard products, wood fiber, but that's tough to tell without munchn on some. http://www.mastercodeprofessional.com/H ... ing_ID.pdf
  10. I agree with Bill. If you state that the plumbing system is in good condition overall and your client and his attorney and the judge are willing to believe you meant the stuff inside the walls, then even if you have stated that this is a visual inspection in 20 other places of your report and contract: You must qualify a summary remark by saying "the visible plumbing...".
  11. Many computer reporting programs use ratings such as, FUNCTIONAL, MARGINAL, NEEDS REPAIR and so on. They have a definition of terms page that describe what the ratings mean. I just looked up three words I have used: serviceable, functional, acceptable. I will no longer use the word, acceptable. I think it's fine to use conventions, if the meaning is clear and they serve a purpose for you and your client. I use "repair". I define repair (and include "or replace") along with: safety issue, major concern, further review and monitor at the front of report. They highlight the type of deficiency. As long as there is no confusion w/ intent of the convention, they make the report easier to read. In the case of "further review", this convention in a report is usually followed by a description of the problem, usually a manuscripted comment as the boiler plate won't fit- and the convention definition doesn't have to reinserted. I was once told by a FREA E&O rep. that you should define such words like, acceptable. (Of course, E&O carriers would have you refer to a specialist for a missing door knob.) If there can be ambiguity in a value description type word (acceptable by who), it should not be used or be more clear, or define in a report section. If Websters is clear (functional-it works), then why define. Also, in narrative reporting, do you mention everything that was inspected or just focus on the items that need attention? I understand that SOP requires me to mention information about specific things regardless of condition. I think most folks expect their report will concentrate on repair items. If you look at an SoP, does it they say anything about reporting on the condition of items that are not deficient? Mike had an opinion on this. Describe the structure, plumb, hvac, elec etc. And Report on what's damaged or broke. I include short comments in some sections of report which further describe system or component, and give inspection result that say, eg: the water heater was properly installed incl. blah blah. This is done to let client know this system was inspected, provides info. Does your SoP include the doorbell? If not and the bell doesn't work, do you report it? Would your client want it to work, or have been informed? This is on another tact and I won't get started on "representative" sampling, which back to point, at least is defined in SoP(s) . Dave
  12. And this means the threads will be longer just to get to that special number [:-angel], which means numbering will have even more value... A good idea, still gives the option of cut paste previous text.
  13. No matter who your referral sources are, homes sales have/are declining, and the number of referrals from these sources decline. The article points out what markets tend to face when in decline, attrition. Those without experience and whatever it takes to survive may leave. This usually strengthens the industry in the end.
  14. You have a good start. I agree that this paragraph typically goes in the "about inspector" tab if you have one, and could be edited down. You are pushing your honesty, integrity, I treat you like family value -perhaps a phrase along these lines could go in quotes on the home page. I like the seasoned inspector training comment-you could put this in past tense to emphasize this was part of your original training efforts and you might use "John was" instead of "I". This is done, I think, to give a more professional objective look. "Customer service quality integrity...", (at the end of your paragraph) this could be something your clients have always received from FHI, as opposed to what my goal is -which sounds more like a resume. It's tough to write stuff about yourself. Someone told me to avoid being too modest in your marketing. Have fun.
  15. It went from six feet of sink plane to all kitchen countertop plugs with the '99 code I believe, including islands (countertops greater than 12 inches wide). I think the island GFCI plugs need to be w/in 12 inches of the CT top. -Dave
  • Create New...