IR pitfalls

Chris Bernhardt

Hello Dantheman, thanks for coming in.....a request.....

Please break your writing into paragraphs so it can be understood. The information is unintelligible in the current form.

After that, can you reference some of your statements, i.e., where did your analytical information come from?

I picked up a nice torque driver at Harbor Freight for ten bucks adjustable from 5-50 IN/lbs.

Really, if you want to be credible-first you must never admit you've been to Harbor Freight and second adjectives like "nice" found in the same sentence as Harbor Freight always results in an oxymoron.

When one is measuring torque as small as inch pounds, one should buy reliable equipment.

Really, if you want to be credible-first you must never admit you've been to Harbor Freight and second adjectives like "nice" found in the same sentence as Harbor Freight always results in an oxymoron.

Oh yeah? How can you make a statement like that if you've never been to Harbor freight? LOL!

Oh yeah? How can you make a statement like that if you've never been to Harbor freight? LOL!

When I hired mechanics, I went through their tool boxes and removed adjustable wrenches, no-name tools, Craftsman tools and anything Harbor Freight. I had a little speech about how serious mechanics buy serious tools.

S-K, Proto, Facom, Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Knipex, Channellock, Petersen- all good stuff. Harbor Freight is single-use, fastener deforming, hot bits flying, self destructive junk that's far more likely to break something than fix something. Of course, opinions may vary.

For the record, the DeWalt finish nailer, brad nailer, compressor, hose and bag combo for $279 isn't good enough to be sold by Harbor Freight.

I've found Harbor Freight to carry excellent boat mooring anchors; they're listed under "Stationary Multi-Purpose Machinery".

In a lighter vein......

With globalized manufacturing, I've been finding all sorts of crap turning up in the mfg's. that I once considered superb. Milwaukee has some stinkers, so does DeWalt.

Compressors, in particular, seem to have fallen off the cliff. They're all cheap crap, formed off the same platform components. Anyone have any experience with, or know of, a decent air nailer/compressor kit nowadays?

Compressors, in particular, seem to have fallen off the cliff. They're all cheap crap, formed off the same platform components. Anyone have any experience with, or know of, a decent air nailer/compressor kit nowadays?

I gave my Dewalt, lemon yellow stuff to my oldest son and I bought the Hitachi Kit that's available only at Lowes. I'm extremely satisfied.

The compressor is fairly quiet, fairly light and will run my framing gun in a pinch. The brad nailer and finish nailer fire sequentially or single shot and both are very easy to load and unload.

Here's my review of the DeWalt stuff on Amazon

Paslode.

No compressors, no hoses, no problems. Keep them clean. Been using mine for years without trouble. Now that they seem to have the O ring problem with the framers cured, I finally spent the money on a framer that I'll never use as much as my trim gun.

The convienience out weighs the expense of the gas cartridges by a long shot.

"Like something someone would buy @ Walmart...." Awarded the "most useful critical review".

Pretty funny.

I've always liked Hitachi stuff. I still have their planer/jointer from about 1980; it's the only multi-use tool I've ever owned that actually performed both jobs satisfactorily. Usually, multi-use stuff doesn't do either job.

Yes, the freakin' hoses that come with the cheap stuff are a nightmare. That's the sort of thing that drives me completely nuts. Any time saved with the tool is lost by a factor of 10 by fighting with the hose.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the insulation thing isn't all that exciting, and there's always missing or inadequate insulation in Chicago.

With the electrical, I haven't found much of anything. There's always a breaker or two that are a few degrees warmer than other breakers, but that's about it.

The AFCI's are always several degrees warmer than other breakers.

That's about it, but I'm not stopping trying to find stuff.

You might be surprised how often there are poor connections at all those open boxes we (my self included before IR) walk by.

I find a mositure leak of some sort that has no visible evidence at least one out every 15 homes. Major insulation issuses a couple times a week.

Can't imagine not having the IR camera.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201133203247_IR000594.jpg

14.46 KB