Jump to content

EIFS Mitigation Contractor in North Jersey


Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone.

Had a typical million dollar McMansion recently with a brick veneer front wall using EIFS details around the windows and cladding two foundation-roof window bays. 1998 house and the usual, nothing installed properly, signs of damage & problems/potential problems everywhere. The seller of course is a highfalutin realestate agent who brought in a contractor who says only limited areas need repair & the whole thing isn't more than $3k. The buyer found one person to take a look on her behalf and he wants to rip it all off and start over at $16K. His estimate of course lacked any real detail as to what he was going to do, and both of them are completely ignoring the lack of any signs of weeping drains or flashing in the brick veneer.

So I've got the usual disparity in estimates and the seller asking me to recommend someone. I just don't have anyone to recommend to her to take a good detailed look and outline a proper course of repair. Does anyone have a good, solid EIFS mitigation contractor in the North Jersey area? The house is in Oakland but I need someone for the western areas also.

Some of the pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040585.jpg

1702.72 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040561.jpg

1617.09 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040537.jpg

1512 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040559.jpg

1704.59 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040566.jpg

1674.64 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040567.jpg

1560.68 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1040654.jpg

1291.34 KB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pooh Yie! That's a mess. I've never seen EIFS used that way before but it sure looks cool. Just need to follow manufacturer's practice.

What's interesting is that this is an example of 'a window in a window'. Needs two sets of flashing installed per fenestration opening. One for the EIFS trim and another for the window or door.

Marc

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are looking for an EIFS/Stucco contractor. It is really not a mitigation, more of a correction and repair.

The EIFS around the windows that are on the brick walls is more than likely just stuck on top of the brick like an applique and really should not be that much of an issue. The other EIFS walls and windows are an issue. Just based on what I see in the photos it will not be a simple $3K job. At $3K the contractor is patching and covering, not correcting. I would defer to an experienced EIFS inspector and let them be the one to tell everyone what is going on and who and what needs to be done.

Repairs on this could easily be as high a $15,000+, but not $3,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

You are looking for an EIFS/Stucco contractor. It is really not a mitigation, more of a correction and repair.

The EIFS around the windows that are on the brick walls is more than likely just stuck on top of the brick like an applique and really should not be that much of an issue. The other EIFS walls and windows are an issue. Just based on what I see in the photos it will not be a simple $3K job. At $3K the contractor is patching and covering, not correcting. I would defer to an experienced EIFS inspector and let them be the one to tell everyone what is going on and who and what needs to be done.

Repairs on this could easily be as high a $15,000+, but not $3,000.

Hey Scott,

Yes, repair... Talk to too many lawyers around here and their language starts to set in. There's been so much failure of this stuff up here that mitigation & repair are kind of used interchangeably now.

They, previous buyers that walked away, did have an EIFS inspection prior to my inspection. Was funny how that was only presented to me after I issued my report. But it was only an inspection and no specification for repairs. That's why I'm trying to find a reliable contractor to layout what needs to be done and provide a quote. 99% of my options are just more clowns that would do it the same way. The other 1% are too far away for it to be worth their trouble, not being a whole house job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...