Stucco expansion joint at window

Danny Pritchard

Well Danny, I think you answered your own questions, yes the installation is wrong. However, I don't get excited about the control joints in the middle of the windows as long as there is one below the window as well.

I'd LIKE to see them at the corners, but I know they won't always fall there. I also like them centered if they're going to be over/under a window.

Betcha it didn't have sill pan flashing at the window sill did it?

Originally posted by stuccoman

If thats the case the house's will continue to be a big sponge!

Stuccoman, you need to come to central and South Florida and look at the millions of block houses with painted stucco applied directly to the block. It's not a sponge, it's the best siding/structure combination you can get. The block can absorb large quantities of water and allow it to dry (ususally to the air conditioned interior) without causing any problems.

Please don't tell me you shouldn't paint stucco. I'd hate to have to bulldoze my own house that's been standing here for 49 years with stucco on the block. BTW, it's in perfect condition.

Mark

Things have changed in the last 49 years! And not all for the better. Painting stucco is fine. How thick is the stucco on your house?

How many coats of paint does it have on it?

Is it concrete block or haydite?

Did they let the basecoat cure out before they finished it or just texture the basecoat without a finish coat?

Originally posted by stuccoman

Mark

Things have changed in the last 49 years! And not all for the better. Painting stucco is fine. How thick is the stucco on your house?

How many coats of paint does it have on it?

Is it concrete block or haydite?

Did they let the basecoat cure out before they finished it or just texture the basecoat without a finish coat?

It's a solid 1/2" thick with lots of coats of paint. I wasn't around when they built it, but it's a sand finish, so I imagine it's a base coat and a finish coat.

I see lot's of sins in application of stucco over block in new construction. Most of the time it works OK though. It's very forgiving.