Condominiums

bigdogbonz

I have a general question about the inspection of condos. I realize that everyone may have a slightly different answer. When inspecting condos, what do you report on and what do you leave out? Generally, the roof, exterior, grounds and possibly even the foundation are "common" space that is the Associations responsibility (as I have learned).Do you briefly look it over and report significant findings, or write them off as NOT inspected because they are the responsibility of the Association?

Thanks for any input

Bigdog

(I updated my profile, hope I gave enough, dont want to be known as the mystery man!)

I inspect the exterior of a condo or townhouse as I would a single family house. I point out any items in need of repair or a potential safety issue. I also tell my client to inform the homeowners association of any problems. This way if any injury occurs, my client can always say they informed the asociation. The following is also included:

Exterior and common areas are the responsibility of the Condominium Owners Association and are subject to the Association By-Laws, rules and assessments. We recommend obtaining and reviewing the By-Laws, financial statements, the most recent reserve study and minutes of the meetings of the Association prior to close. AmeriSpec will not investigate nor give any opinion concerning the By-Laws, financial statements, minutes or other resolutions concerning the property. The exterior and common areas of this property were reviewed for informational purposes only.

The roof is reviewed from the ground only unless my cient informs me the roof is the homeowners responsibility (we do have several developments that the roof is the owners responsibility). The following is included in the report:

The roof is usually the responsibility of the Condominium Owners Association and is subject to the Association By-Laws, rules and assessments. We do not mount roofs that are the associations responsibility. We recommend obtaining and reviewing the By-Laws, financial statements, the most recent reserve study and minutes of the meetings of the Association, prior to close.

Darren