Lennox Pulse furnace

Robert E Lee

I inspected a home today that had a Lennox Pulse furnace. This was a G14 model manufactured in 1990, the information that I have always depended upon states that these units manufactured between 1982-1989 where subject to the recall relating to problems with the heat exchanger. I realize the recall expired about 1999, and that the Pulse 21 was not a part of the recall. But can anyone help me with how to react to this 1990 model that is clearly not a Pulse 21, but is the model # that was recalled except a year later.

Robert E Lee

GENERAL Home Inspections, Inc

I've pasted in an article from the ASHI Reporter, Robert, regarding the Lennox Pulses. Your best bet is to phone Lennox w/ the serial number and see what they say. The odds are likely 50/50 you'll reach someone who knows what they're talking about and who will respond to you truthfully.

John

Lennox Furnace Recall Announced

According to Bob Schjerven, president and chief operating officer for Lennox, dealers have recently reported increased instances of corrosion in some Pulse furnace heat exchangers in units installed before 1990.

As part of the inspection program, Lennox will provide a free AIM Safety carbon monoxide detector.

The company urges owners of Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989 to schedule a furnace and safety check with an independent Lennox dealer by calling 800-537-4341.

The Inspection is free, but if the furnace has to be cleaned in order to be inspected, the customer could be charged for the cleaning.

To identify a Pulse furnace, look for its name on the door. If the unit is a Pulse 21 furnace, it was manufactured after 1990 and is not part of the inspection program.

For those with Lennox furnaces without the Pulse 21 name, the next step is to remove the front door and look for the name tag. These tags are usually placed on the inside cabinet wall on the left side of the furnace.

Locate the model number on the tag (either G14 or GSR14 followed by a series of numbers and letters) and the serial number on a tag below the name tag. Homeowners who caU the 800 number with the information will be told if their furnace is eligible for this inspection program.

The inspection program runs through July1, 1999. If the warranted heat exchanger needs replacing, Lennox will provide a new heat exchanger at no cost to the owner. Labor costs for replacement parts are not part of the Pulse furnace warranty.

Source: ASHI Reporter, September 1997 p23